• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

brass shift fork pads

I have had one sled have a split pad out of 50 or so I have serviced but other then that I wouldn't waste my money. The fear I have is if the brass would split and fall out they may take out the chain-case and the stock one mostly like would get chewed up.

....... if the brass would split and fall out they may take out the chain-case and the stock one mostly like would get chewed up.
Yikes! I hadn't considered that before changing my stock ones over to DMC. Now you have me thinking I should go back....

Not sidewinder but I have 28800mi on my Viper with original pads. One thing to watch other than TopGear bushing and Tensioner bolts is the rubber cushion between top reverse gears mine was disintegrated last season. Out of stock. Found a used one and put in. Something to look for that I have overlooked in past. Pull those two gears apart.

Not sidewinder but I have 28800mi on my Viper with original pads. One thing to watch other than TopGear bushing and Tensioner bolts is the rubber cushion between top reverse gears mine was disintegrated last season. Out of stock. Found a used one and put in. Something to look for that I have overlooked in past. Pull those two gears apart.
Yes I just replaced mine last season as well.

Yes I just replaced mine last season as well.
Great catch! I never saw anyone mention that and I forgot too. The cushion shown in bottom gear.
IMG_7490.jpeg

No problem here with my stock pads on my 2017, but I do make sure that my top gear busing is good every season!

And as for the gear cushion, I can say that Ive only taken that apart but once, and that was when my sled was still pretty new, and my chain had rubbed and caused a bad wear spot on the internal post/nub! I had to tear completely apart to clean all of the metal deposits inside my chain case, gears and chain! Next season's maintenance I'll make sure to separate those two gears and take a peek! Thanks for the heads up!!

I had no issues with the stock pads.
I was on Hurricane web site buying top gear and chain a while back and put a set of brass pads in my bucket just because all the cool people were doing it. Didnt feel like paying more shipping in case I needed them.
The stock pads were brittle and broke when removing them gently.
One year on brass and all good.

Great catch! I never saw anyone mention that and I forgot too. The cushion shown in bottom gear.View attachment 174458
Nice mine were torn off and turned inside so now I keep in stock. I just had my nephews apart and his was starting to tear and collapse as well. Good catch cannondale27.

Good to check. I've seen a few with rubber deteriorated, missing little pieces, etc.

At the end of last season I put a hd top gear in and the brass fork pads, nothing wrong with the stuff I took out at 4,000 miles....except the gear bushing wasn't drilled to match the oil hole in the gear...still wasn't worn much.

Back