• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken Header

Nine2Nine

Expert
Anyone else had this happen? I'm pretty sure it is Titanium and not sure if I'll be fixing or replacing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• cover 034.jpg
    cover 034.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 136

Wow. I thought I might be the only person on the planet that had their exhaust crack right there. Mine looks identical to yours. I'm surprised yours broke... I don't have any tunnel protectors in mine as I have a 1.75" track and I had to remove them. So I figure my loose track came up when I chopped the throttle off and it broke my exhaust just like in your picture. Here is a link to the exhaust that Nate007 is making that I'm going with this year.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=831340#831340

APEX 06 said:
Do you ride hard.

Yes but look after everything very well, weird part is the both ends are still secure. Got me 50 miles back to base. Weak weld I say. So looking for new, used and/or aftermarket header and will keep stock muffler.

Mine broke in the exact same spot. YES took care of it. I rode mine home one night all was fine i started it in the garage the next morning and it was broke. Expansion/ contraction????

Titanium can certainly be welded. Ti exhaust systems are typically lots of little pieces welded together. But there are probably lots of guys who bought aftermarket systems that have the OEM parts stuck in a corner of their garage.

Mine has 2 small cracks, one where the 3 joints are welded and one just before it goes into the muffler pipe cracked not the weld. They updated the header in 2010 to be stronger.
Not sure if i will get the updated stocker or spend 500.00 on a hindle and get rid of the flex joints and donuts at the same time.

toddt said:
Mine has 2 small cracks, one where the 3 joints are welded and one just before it goes into the muffler pipe cracked not the weld. They updated the header in 2010 to be stronger.
Not sure if i will get the updated stocker or spend 500.00 on a hindle and get rid of the flex joints and donuts at the same time.

Does the Excell header use stock flex joints?

mytro said:
toddt said:

Does the Excell header use stock flex joints?

Yes

Mine looked the same. The issue was I had another 500 miles to get back, some smooth, some well, rough. It held out looking like your pic for about 150 miles, then I noticed it getting louder, the two halves of the three-one began to separate. I kept an eye one it, it seemed to be holding out, then as I came to a stop I heard a noise and suddenly the exhaust tone changed. Hopped off to find the lower half of the three-one was gone, looked everywhere for it but it was history. At that point the sled was skull shattering loud, it was tolerable at certain RPM's but when loaded the thing would rattle your brain. About 200 miles like this and my ears rang for two days. Off the sled I would say it was comparable to the loud cans some of the two-stroke guys have, probably the illegal ones in terms of Db. Either way another thing to the list for Y.E.S. to look in to. Less than 7,000 miles and she's starting to whimper.

Even the factory titanium pipe is good, and although titanium is a great material, there really arent very many (if any at all) headers I've ever seen made of titanium, and this is part of what I do for a living.... hhmmm
I'm not sure if it's actually an alloy of some sort, but straight titanium is brittle, and can't withstand certain extreme conditions. Just like anything else, if it can be broken.
Our system uses a stainless/titanium alloy (321) which is a very expensive alloy, and most commonly used in turbo headers, but will provide the best resistance to the rapid heating and cooling cycles a sled header can see.
A factory header can be welded back together and will live for a short time, but after modifying factory headers in the design phase of our testing, I've broken several headers shortly after welding, and it always breaks next to a weld. It's too brittle to expect it to last after welding, and not many of us can replicate the factory process of welding.

I don't believe the stock headers are made of titanium. They are made from a lower grade stainless material.

Back