• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken jackshaft bearing.......Y??

ranger1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
During a 160 mile ride the other day I noticed a vibration in the steering that progressively got worse throughout the day. When I got home the first thing I did was take off the secondary to check the bearing. Upon wiping the grease off the seal, pieces of the inner metal part of the bearing that seats on the jackshaft fell out!!!!! I had cleaned & greased this at the beginning of the season.
Has this happen to anybody & what would cause this???
The previous owner must have changed this bearing before as it is not the original one. Is it not strange that this bearing needs to be changed twice in 6000 miles??

Attachments

• 001-001.JPG
    001-001.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 001-001.JPG
    001-001.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 215

tomanytoyz said:
Strange.maybe improper install? someone beat on it
It wasn't broke when I repacked it.
It's really a piss off as I spent many many hours & over a $1000 in preventative maintenance to this new to me sled so that I wouldn't have any issues this winter!
It is probably recommended to change the jackshaft as I have read that they tend to break around 10,000 miles. Bearing + jackshaft =$300-$400ish + more labour & downtime!!!! :o| :o|

ecopter said:
Driver shaft; not jack shaft.
I took the secondary off myself & know the difference between the two, lol!! Notice the splines on the end of the shaft? Speedo shaft does not have that + it don't stick out that far......or at all for that matter ;)!

yamaha1973 said:
I think he means the drive shafts are know for breaking, not the jack shaft
Oh ok, so it wasn't the the jackshafts that were prone to break, it was the drive shafts? So yamaha1973, do you think my jackshaft should be ok? Just change the bearing & should be good to go?

ecopter said:
Driver shaft; not jack shaft.
ecopter, sorry if I enterpreted your response wrongly, I thought that you thought I identified the wrong shaft,lol!! The drive shafts were the ones having breakage problems....I get it now ;)!

Could be a cheap aftermaket bearing that the original was replaced with?

I have heard on here when it's time to replace said bearings, don't cheap out, get the Yamaha bearings?

ranger1 said:
teamyamaha said:
To me it looks like lack of lubrication. What color was the grease when you repacked the bearing?
I repacked it with white synthetic, it now looks grey.

I wonder if that "white synthetic" grease is heavy enough for a bearing. I clean (WD40) and re-grease every year using the same bearing grease as I used on my trailer. 14,361 miles later I've replaced driveshaft bearing at 6,000 & 12,000 and the jackshaft bearing is original.

THKSNOW said:
ranger1 said:
teamyamaha said:
To me it looks like lack of lubrication. What color was the grease when you repacked the bearing?
I repacked it with white synthetic, it now looks grey.

I wonder if that "white synthetic" grease is heavy enough for a bearing. I clean (WD40) and re-grease every year using the same bearing grease as I used on my trailer. 14,361 miles later I've replaced driveshaft bearing at 6,000 & 12,000 and the jackshaft bearing is original.
I have trailer grease, maybe I will start using that instead, thanks for the tip ;)!

Back