• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

broken secondary ramp (button)

blue06

took the secondary sheave off today to clean and regrease the 2 bearings, and noticed one of the buttons broken off. what would cause this and should i be checking anything else in the clutch before the season starts? by the way the sled is a 2006 attak with 9000km on it. thank you for any info.

Usually happens when you get some air and come back down, clutch will kick back if you hook up hard and this will snap off the ramp. Not real common on stock clutch but have broken a few rollers off my roller clutch.

Can happen when reinstalling the spring too.
Change all 3 buttons at the same time.

i never really checked them before, i noticed it when i took the side panel off and found it in the bottom. going to the dealer to pick up three new ones. the dealer said they can dry out and crack after a few years ? thanks for the replies , i'll start checking them more often.

blue06 said:
i never really checked them before, i noticed it when i took the side panel off and found it in the bottom. going to the dealer to pick up three new ones. the dealer said they can dry out and crack after a few years ? thanks for the replies , i'll start checking them more often.

X2, they last about 3000 miles

APEX 06 said:
blue06 said:

X2, they last about 3000 miles

X3, I check them every year when I wash my secondary.

They are not hard to change at all. Page 118-120 in the Apex service manual.

Easy to change, should be done every 3000 miles if aggressive, maybe 5000 if not. DO NOT USE THE CHEAP MARSHALL ONES. They are not the same material and all break off, resulting in a tower breaking and thus you are out a clutch, or at least half of one. The Yamaha stock ones are EXPENSIVE so prepare (as always) to bend-over when you buy.

You will want to inspect the clutch where the button rests against it. Busting one can cause stress on the others and crack the clutch in this area.
I have sold dozens of clutches because of people boating the helix on without holding the clutch spun open.

Back