• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken shock!

Mazz

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Fx Nytro RTX 40th
Hey guys, just pulling my skid out of my 08' rtx tonight to get the shocks rebuilt and give the skid the usual preseason look over and much to my dismay the tube on the center shock is split! Any way I know it's junk but do you guys have any suggestions on where to go with this, ebay, CL, upgrade? Anyone here looking to unload a leftover fx Nytro center shock lol! Any advice would be apreciated thanks.

That is a known issue with that shock
Contact hygear. They have pics and a description of the problem on thier website
They can fix what you have.
They also have a fix so that it does not happen again.
Buying a replacement shock off ebay could put you right back in this boat if the shock was not upgraded

Schmidt Bros and Pioneer performance also could help you out. I decided to go with a different shock after a failure took out a new $700 track.
IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg

Our local shock guy used a regular shock from a apex I believe and added the reservoir to fix mine. $200

I split mine open, hygear will fix it so it wont happen again..

Call Bruce at B-Line Control in Lindstrom MN he can handle your issue. I cant remeber his number off the top of my head so just search for B-Line Control and it should come up in one of the threads he is mentioned in.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was leaning towards hygear for a rebuild before I found the blown shock, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Rigidone do you recall what it cost for their upgraded tube? It would be nice to have some idea of what I'm in for before I send them in. From their site and can figure about 200 for a rebuild and revalve of both rear shocks plus the repairs to the center tube. Maybe I can get some sort of an idea when I get on the phone with them. I'll track down Bruce at B-Line Control also, Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, I dont remember what it cost, I went through Excell M/S to have it done. They had my skid out to put the X wheel kit, Hygears dual rate spring on, and a couple other things. So It was all billed together.. I have had quite a few things from Hygear on my sleds over the years, always an improvement over stock. They are real nice people there too. I was out doing sales calls for my job and ended up at their new facility (completely by chance I swear..lol) Got a look at all the shock elves hard at work, One guy was milling the add on resi holders for fox shocks..It was cool to see..

found Bruce's number at B-Line Control it is: 651-257-0828

Talked with Bruce at B-Line tonight, unfortunately he can't help me with the split shock tube. Have to try Hygear tomorrow and see what the cost of their replacment tube is, I can buy a whole shock on ebay from 325 to 350, see what they say and go from there. Thanks again, Adam

I put in a Fox Zero Pro when mine blew up last year. Got it from Robert at Star Suspension for around $200 I think. Good luck

I found the fox zero pro option last night, it was going to be my next post on this issue, you beat me too it Sxrpilot. So that brings me to the next question for you how is the performance of the zero pro? I think it would be fine for me personally. I rarely ever adjusted my stock shocks, I found a setting that seemed to work in a wide range for me and left them alone so I know I won't miss the adjustability, what do you think?

The only adjustment on the center shock is the spring preload and the fox shock has that,so there is no trade off at all.

If you call Ross at Hygear he can give you a cost on fix and upgrade as well. I had them do my center shock and went with the dual rate spring and rear shock both in the sport upgrade it really made a difference in the rear suspension as they will match everything to your weight and riding style.

I'll have to think about the fox shock. My Rtx center shock had compression and rebound dampening as well as the reservoir of course. But like I said above I never adjusted it after initially setting it anyway. Busy day today calling Ross at Hygear tomorrow, thanks again guys.

Back