• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Build plans for the off season.

hmm, we might have to do that.

It looks like a pretty easy trip, only 800 miles so we could make a long weekend out of it.

Niko, when do you go home?
I have a Vector mtn you can borrow...

i prolly wont be making it up there again this season in time. Even last time i found some stumps to ride over and my track suffered a little damage.

But a long weekend trip to Utah.....
my mouth is watering.

come on guys

You guys shouldn't hi-jack a thread to have a conversation. It's better suited for PM'S. Others might enjoy continuing the thread on potential modifications and won't because of the conversation between ya'll. No offense . Thanks :Rockon:

where were my manners? Sorry about that, you are totally right.

Back to the subject at hand.

Timbersled kit waiting to be installed
timbersled-kit.jpg

reverse kit waiting to be installed.
reverse.jpg

yeah yeah, i know. It looks like every other cardboard box you have seen. But this is a magical box and will make my sled go backwards.

And i bought a trailer a while back. Its a flatbed 18' rated at 5k lbs, even has axle brakes!
trailer4.jpg

trailer7.jpg

I used it a couple of times when my girlfriend and i went sledding but it had some drawbacks.
I need more tie down points.
I need to install the spiffy quick tiedown bracket thingies that grab the ski's. Tie-down straps suck once frozen.
I need to install some sort of blast shield on the front. I always keep em covered, but reducing the shotgun effect of road trash would be nice.
the carbides were cutting into the wood deck and splintering it.

So i searched a while for ski guides and was a little put off by how much they cost. $100 per kit. Well, to do what i wanted i would need 4 kits and i wasnt about to drop $400 on this project, so i let my mind wander.
Craigslist to the rescue!!!
trailer2.jpg

Its a bedliner for a long bed Dodge and the guy wanted $20. I didnt bother haggling and handed him a $20 with a smile on my face. He was a bit confused though, i showed up in a shortbed chevy.

I cut it into strips about 8" wide and screwed them to the deck on the trailer. (unfortunately i didnt snap any pics of the final product) So there is a strip along the left and right side, plus one that runs right up the middle for the sleds to share with one ski in front of the other.
the cool thing about the bed liner is its really slippery and the ski's glide effortlessly on it, the carbide is not touching plastic at all so its plastic on plastic. Also the strips dont get in the way if i want to load cars on it. Just drive right on like its not even there!

I also need to do something with my truck to make transporting my apex easier when i go riding by myself.
First i'll need to build a ramp (or 3 smaller ramps?) that is wide enough for the ski's but easy to handle. I also want to use the bedliner material to lay in the bed of my truck to keep the carbides from rashing my LineX. I'll also want to add some feature that raises the track off the bed to allow ramps to slide under it easier. I'll formulate a plan and keep you guys updated.

But for now thats it.

i still dont know if i am going to install the scratchers.
I need to install something, but im still working on my ski mounted flex joint solution. I might return those if my idea works, or just run them if it dosent.

I'm finally starting to think about summer repairs/maintenance (last ride was in June).

On the list so far:
Upgrade steering bushings to olite or wildchild. Any tips on reducing play on the secondary stearing shaft? I think I can replace the forward bushing with an olite - what can be done with the rear bushing?

Replace all skid bearings.

Replace mav track (it's almost a slick - anyone need a 162" asphalt drag track) with camo extreme.

Replace handle bar & strap (I've broken the stock mtn strap twice, this is getting tired so I'm going to try an RSI bar & nylon strap).

I may replace the a-arms as I think the left side are still a little bent from a collision I had with a rev.

Install a boss seat I've got waiting in the garage.

I'm considering (if I have time and $$):
- kmod drop brackets.
- rad delete & install water temp gauge.
- replacing drivers with Avids.
- Rear skid fox float by Nextech.

I've got just under 5000kms on it. Anything else I should check or replace to make sure I've got a problem free season next year?
- exhaust donuts? Anything else on the exhaust while I have the track out?
- jackshaft bearings (I'll do the drive shaft bearings and seals when I replace the track)?
- clutch rebuild (I've never touched it other than cleaning surfaces)?

l8r,

Shawn.

Back