• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Busted limiters

furg69

Expert
Bust two of my front limiter straps on a ride today. Crawled home, checked the rear skid and found that the two bars that run parallel with the rear shock have be folded like a sheet of paper and the shock has been flipped down toward the track. I cant seem to see what have caused this, the straps are bursted in the middle, not at the top and bottom like most have been having issues with. Any tips on what to look for before replacing these parts and having issues again?. I have 1300 kms on my xtx skid installed on my 08 nytro.

furg69 said:
Bust two of my front limiter straps on a ride today. Crawled home, checked the rear skid and found that the two bars that run parallel with the rear shock have be folded like a sheet of paper and the shock has been flipped down toward the track. I cant seem to see what have caused this, the straps are bursted in the middle, not at the top and bottom like most have been having issues with. Any tips on what to look for before replacing these parts and having issues again?. I have 1300 kms on my xtx skid installed on my 08 nytro.

My limiter straps busted a couple of weeks ago too, and in the middle like yours. It also caused the bars to fold.

Don't know what could've broke them either, but I had to laugh at the local dealer whose excuse for not having any straps in stock was that no one has ever broken them on a Nytro before.

NFLD-Nytro said:
I had to laugh at the local dealer whose excuse for not having any straps in stock was that no one has ever broken them on a Nytro before.

They told me that I had the only Phazer engine ever to blow up. Yamaha had to search around for a new engine for me because they don't even keep one in stock in Canada.

i had the same thing happend to me. i was told by hygear its bad landings cause that

Something that I do that seems to help the straps last longer, is lube the strap where it wraps around the upper and lower bars with Silglide. Silglide is a silicone based grease available at most auto parts stores.
What it does is allow the strap to rotate on the bars easier so that they don't have to flex as tightly in the middle of the strap as the suspension compresses.
To lube them without taking the straps loose, place a block of wood under the front of the skid. This compresses the front of the skid to slacken the straps. Then I just squirt a "gob" of silglide in where the strap joins back together and move the straps back and forth on the bars, to work the lube around the bar. ;)!

Bill

I'm on my second set of replacement straps..... Just replaced another before my trip to Cochrane. Kind of a piss off. I have been running them 1 hole tighter, so I have backed them off now (since I added the pilots I don't need the ski pressure) and we will see how they last.

Straps are likely folding and pushing up into the top track under compression. Just double them up by adding a second layer of strap.
Makes them stiffer and fold less. Hit the track less.
I've been running my xtx since first year with double layer straps.
Still good.

Back