• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

buying/bringing sled from Canada to US?

zross1

Expert
I'm looking to buy a sled in Canada and bring it to the US. Does anyone know what needs to be done to do this?

Plus, you WILL have to declare it's value (bill of sale, etc...) and pay duty, and they WILL a) Check the Internet for comparable sleds, and b) call the previous owner to verify the amount, c) If they don't believe you, or you try to lie - they will REALLY sock it to you.

It's far LESS hassle to buy in the States, and you should be able to get some killer deals in your neck of the woods (being an OSU fan). Unless this is some sort of one-off custom or something like that???

The boarder can be a mess, or it can be very easy. Have all your paperwork in order and be honest every step of the way and there is littel problem crossing the board and importing a vehicle. I have doen it many a times with antique and vintage sleds. And recently with some ski boat stuff. Honesty is the best policy.

4Fighter said:
Plus, you WILL have to declare it's value (bill of sale, etc...) and pay duty, and they WILL a) Check the Internet for comparable sleds, and b) call the previous owner to verify the amount, c) If they don't believe you, or you try to lie - they will REALLY sock it to you.

It's far LESS hassle to buy in the States, and you should be able to get some killer deals in your neck of the woods (being an OSU fan). Unless this is some sort of one-off custom or something like that???

I'm in Idaho, although a osu fan :) What is the duty?

Vmax4 said:
The boarder can be a mess, or it can be very easy. Have all your paperwork in order and be honest every step of the way and there is littel problem crossing the board and importing a vehicle. I have doen it many a times with antique and vintage sleds. And recently with some ski boat stuff. Honesty is the best policy.

I guess that is my question what paperwork do I need? 1.Title 2.Bill of sale 3What else?

The duty rate on snowmobiles is 2.5%. I would assume you would also have to pay a merchandise processing fee of .21% in addition.

Quick question...... Are you going to be getting a certificate of origin with the sled or a title? If so, have it and the appropriate signaures. An old registration. A bill of sale from the seller with the VIN#, Description, Price, Thier address and phone numbers. I would even bring the advertisement of the sled for sale. Go as far as printing the NADA or KBB values for the sled.

The duty, if it is 2.5%, probably won't hurt too much. Not sure how ID does sales tax on sleds, but be ready to pay that at the time you register or apply for the title.

On top of all this advise you are getting...... call the actual boarder crossing you will be going through and ask all these questions. Be honest, be prepared for people that might not sound very friendly or sound like they even want to help, BUT be polite and ask the questions you need to know. THEN, call back another day and talk to someone else and ask the same questions. This way you know the process is correct.

Honest, it won't be hard. If I can help (my wife is Canadian) let me know. Private Message me, and I will give you our phone number. What town are you buying the sled from?

jwifferdill said:
The duty rate on snowmobiles is 2.5%. I would assume you would also have to pay a merchandise processing fee of .21% in addition.
Thank you.

Vmax4 said:
Quick question...... Are you going to be getting a certificate of origin with the sled or a title? If so, have it and the appropriate signaures. An old registration. A bill of sale from the seller with the VIN#, Description, Price, Thier address and phone numbers. I would even bring the advertisement of the sled for sale. Go as far as printing the NADA or KBB values for the sled.

The duty, if it is 2.5%, probably won't hurt too much. Not sure how ID does sales tax on sleds, but be ready to pay that at the time you register or apply for the title.

On top of all this advise you are getting...... call the actual boarder crossing you will be going through and ask all these questions. Be honest, be prepared for people that might not sound very friendly or sound like they even want to help, BUT be polite and ask the questions you need to know. THEN, call back another day and talk to someone else and ask the same questions. This way you know the process is correct.

Honest, it won't be hard. If I can help (my wife is Canadian) let me know. Private Message me, and I will give you our phone number. What town are you buying the sled from?
This is exactly the things I needed to know. Thank you I'll be getting the sled at Alberta. Actually the guy is meeting me at the border.

Back