• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cains Quest Race Starts soon

Sounds like the Cains-Quest is like run over very remote terrian where an established trail does not exist. Kind of like, "You guys are free to choose whichever route you want that gets you from point A to point B". If a VK Professional is competitive then I'm inclined to believe that an established route does not exist.

The Irondog is the ultimate test for a trail ridden sled. I use the term "trail" very loosely. From what I understand, guys can choose to cut across Norton sound as a significant short cut, but that is their choice. I think it was two years ago that we had unseasonably warm temperatures and even inland trails were flooded with storm surge sea water. I recall reading about guys water skipping out on the open ocean along sheer cliffs with no options other than to keep going forward hoping that conditions improved and they'd find solid ice. Way too much life and death danger for me!

AKrider said:
Sounds like the Cains-Quest is like run over very remote terrian where an established trail does not exist. Kind of like, "You guys are free to choose whichever route you want that gets you from point A to point B". If a VK Professional is competitive then I'm inclined to believe that an established route does not exist.

As I stated before, this is Labrador... of the 100km each-way route, there is about 150km of woods road, the rest is remote wilderness.

Racers navigate by GPS, rendezvous'ing at established checkpoints and yes, choosing their route as they progress. If they study their maps long enough, great advantages can be had in finding shortcuts across burned woods to avoid thick green woods, through valleys to avoid hills and across bogs to avoid raging rivers.

Look for the Cain's Quest info post coming up shortly...

Sounds to me there is confusion between remoteness and terrain in this, ah, discussion. How much elevation change is involved? Both have rivers to cross or travel on, depending. Sitting here on an island off the eastern tip of Michigan's U.P. I have no prejudice over what area is what. I suspect there is an equal challenge in both races, regardlees of differing lengths. Not necessarily the same challeges, but just as tough. Same could be said for the northern latitudes in any of the Canadian Provinces.

Also, before celebrating the possibility of winning both races, Yamaha racers have to finally win an Iron Dog, something, unfortunately, that hasn't been close to a reality. Not that I don't want to see it happen, mind you, but be real about past results.

Old Coyote said:
Also, before celebrating the possibility of winning both races, Yamaha racers have to finally win an Iron Dog, something, unfortunately, that hasn't been close to a reality. Not that I don't want to see it happen, mind you, but be real about past results.

Had to giggle at that one, true enough.

If I recall correctly, the last time Yamaha won the Iron Dog was back in the late 80's early 90's when Faeo ran an Exciter for a year to two.

I don't think Yamaha offers much compensation for racers to run it. Seems like Polaris and Arctic Cat are far more supportive.

I haven't checked the Iron Dog rules, but I wonder if it's necessary to limit engine size and so forth for that kind of race. Does the course allow enough wide open running to really matter? Can't see where it should matter for the CQ, either, but maybe I'm missing something.

08 CAINS QUEST

JACK SHAFT

I sence a little passion about Cains Quest. Me too. Even though I am a little nervous about the conditions that I have researched and I am not keen on running 20+hrs a day I can't wait for the March 15th to arrive. My partner David and I noticed you had done some work via GPS on previous venues and I was wondering if you had any past tracks compatable to garmin we could download? I have the web based info but I know there is (better routing) out there. I am approx. 1000miles from you here in ONT. and have no means of pre race exploring.

let me know
Kirk

I am the Co-Chair for the event and continue to do all of the mapping and exploration/establishment of routes for CQ. I cannot give you any electronic info, but I will gladly share tips with you. You must be Paul Connor's buddy, he used to work with Ontrac Equipment here, now works alongside me.

Email me anytime, robpilgrim@gmail.com

Well I didn't expect to meet you here Rob. Yes Paul is a new friend of mine. Team#7 Hastings/Price. Jackie Mayo mentioned you would be a great wealth of information. I was also told this by my buddy Fred Archer who supplied the Piston Bully Groomer to the Labrador winter trail program. I hope for the sake of our support crew/ sleigh (poor fellows on Gades) that the bully's are in use as they plan on using the trails to meet us in Churchill Falls and Goose Bay. That quite a 1-ton you have listed I can't wait to see it. I am going to e-mail you direct on CQ routing and about trail passes for our support guys. Tell Paul that Malony had me hypnotized (spelling) weds eve. (seriously) and I didn't get a chance to call.

Kirk

Try and stay warm I here Labrador had been in a deep freeze.

Irondog has a limit on engines- basically a 600 only. They were afraid somebody was going to get killed on the Yukon. That and the competior's are afraid of the 1000/Apex. There are 5 teams of NYTRO RTX this year. Last year only 1 team.

Trail class started today. Still in the -40 range North of the Alaska Range. Gonna be cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yam:

Team #8, Gerard Rumbolt and Johnny Efford on Nytros stretched to 136" with a LOT of tunnel reinforcements and gear hauling racks.

Great job done by these guys, true grit.

cains quest

Jack_shaft

I can not believe you did not mention the clarification from the first Racers to complete both the Iron Dog and Cains Quest and who hosts the toughest race. You are so polite and I guess I should follow your lead. Its not like the name Hibbert has any significance in the snowmobile racing world. lol

PB

Back