• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbon build up in turbo

Idk the properties but I would think it’s less race intended than the snow version.

Attachments

• A4949E06-45D3-41CF-9A03-746DF5725319.jpeg
    A4949E06-45D3-41CF-9A03-746DF5725319.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 3AEA2ECF-53D1-4BE0-9986-357C814454A3.jpeg
    3AEA2ECF-53D1-4BE0-9986-357C814454A3.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 146

Hey guys. Sleds apart for its yearly maintenance and a track swap. Looking at turbo it seemed to have a ton more carbon build up than before. It’s maxspool 17 tune cai and 2.5sq. Any suggestions or just let it go? I would attach file but can’t get photo small enough
Once upon a time, I used some Klotz 0W-40 Estorlin. Check out the pics to see why I don't ANY Klotz stuff any more. Pics are a brand new unopened bottle right out of a case I got. I had to completely disassemble and flush/clean the oil tank and hoses. I'm surprised it didn't ruin my bearings. Klotz offered to replace it all but I said no. I don't trust them any more!

Attachments

• Klotz residue1.1.jpg
    Klotz residue1.1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Klotz1.jpg
    Klotz1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 142
  • oil tank Klotz sludge1.1.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge1.1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 141
  • oil tank Klotz sludge2.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge2.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 144
  • oil tank Klotz sludge3.1.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge3.1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 151
  • oil tank Klotz sludge4.jpg
    oil tank Klotz sludge4.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 145
Oh boy, I was going to say if someone gave me Klotz to run, I wouldn't put it in my engine. Those pictures prove why I feel that way. When dealing with oil for a turbo engine, its best to use one of the best synthetics available like Quaker State, Amsoil, Mobile One or a Pennzoil or something highly rated on Rat540 blog list IMO. I wouldn't even run the Yamalube myself, but that's just me, I'm a freak about oil and used oil testing.

Oh boy, I was going to say if someone gave me Klotz to run, I wouldn't put it in my engine. Those pictures prove why I feel that way. When dealing with oil for a turbo engine, its best to use one of the best synthetics available like Quaker State, Amsoil, Mobile One or a Pennzoil or something highly rated on Rat540 blog list IMO. I wouldn't even run the Yamalube myself, but that's just me, I'm a freak about oil and used oil testing.
I see you mentioned Pennzoil. That was rated higher then Quaker state?

I see you mentioned Pennzoil. That was rated higher then Quaker state?

No, not the new Quaker State full synthetic, but at one point it was rated very high on the list, top 5 as I recall, but it was a few years ago, now its down the list a ways.

That’s not the snow x oil

My bad, when I did a google search on Klotz estorlin, what I posted came up. Either way, I wouldn't be using Klotz SnoX oil in my machine either. You see Turbofash pictures above right, that's the reason to stick with a KNOWN good quality oil, not a boutique oil.

All the Klotz tested on Rats blog is bottom of the barrel, much different than any of the other brands, unlike the other major brands of oil, its easy to see from his blog if you want to do the research what brands have done their homework and blends good oil. Can't go wrong with the latest Quaker States, and Mobil 1's and Amsoil's. They all rate up there pretty high on the list.

No, not the new Quaker State full synthetic, but at one point it was rated very high on the list, top 5 as I recall, but it was a few years ago, now its down the list a ways.

My bad, when I did a google search on Klotz estorlin, what I posted came up. Either way, I wouldn't be using Klotz SnoX oil in my machine either. You see Turbofash pictures above right, that's the reason to stick with a KNOWN good quality oil, not a boutique oil.

All the Klotz tested on Rats blog is bottom of the barrel, much different than any of the other brands, unlike the other major brands of oil, its easy to see from his blog if you want to do the research what brands have done their homework and blends good oil. Can't go wrong with the latest Quaker States, and Mobil 1's and Amsoil's. They all rate up there pretty high on the list.
Turbo flash post concerns me.

I wasn't a believer in amsoil oils but after seeing how well they did on the cold pour points on the project farm videos I was pretty convinced that I would put it in 4 stroke sleds. Gale Banks has been doing a tour of amsoil recently and has been posting some videos on youtube.

I wasn't a believer in amsoil oils but after seeing how well they did on the cold pour points on the project farm videos I was pretty convinced that I would put it in 4 stroke sleds. Gale Banks has been doing a tour of amsoil recently and has been posting some videos on youtube.
I have to admit that makes me appreciate amsoil more too. But can’t say I was excited about the basic amsoil 4stroke sled oil. But the premium stuff I do like and may run for next season.

But aside from oils. Should I run some sea foam on oil at end of season before changing it to help clean stuff out or clean the turbo with a carbon reducer of some sort?

I have been running Yamalube since day one and put BOP gasket on last year and all was clean as a whistle, at least inside oil tank. Unlike what turboflash is experiencing. I will say, I have run klotz 2 stroke oil from day one on an original 2012 F800 with 10000 miles on it now and have never opened up engine on it! Still 140 lbs compression.

Amsoil Signature series 0W-30 has been flawless for me. Everything is clean and it starts good in the cold. Even at -25f

Back