• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carburetor vs EFI start up

tkuss

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Over the past year my fathers and I snowmobiles have gone from carbureted to Electronic Fuel Injection (Apex, Phazer) but our motorcycles (DRZ and XRl) are still carbureted. My question is about the start up. I am about 99% sure that with EFI you never want to touch the gas or blurp the throttle when starting and EFI engine up. If you do this the engine will have a good chance of fouling the plugs. Blurping the throttle is much harder not to do with the phazer than apex, because the phazer takes 4-5 seconds of cranking before it starts to slowly spit to life. This 4-5 seconds can seem like an eternity if you are used to starting up a car every day, during this 4-5 seconds my father always wants to hit the throttle to help it get started. I then always tell him that it is not a very good idea, but I cannot really explain to him why, because I do not understand fully understand why it is a bad idea to hit the gas on a fuel injected engine when getting it to start. So I am hoping that someone here is able to explain to me why it is a bad idea to blurp the throttle when trying to start up EFI sleds, as well as why the plugs are at a much higher risk of fouling out on an EFI when blurping the throttle at startup? Any replies are greatly appreciated.

If I'm not mistaken the Phazer cranks so long because it waits to recognize oil pressure before it starts! (If I'm wrong someone please correct me!!) EFI's being electronic, have no choke, and control everything through the CPU to keep itself running by adding and subtracting fuel automatically!!

You shouldnt touch the throttle when starting any 4-stroke because you can easily foul the plugs and flood the engine.
With EFI, the computer is already doing what it thinks it needs to do to start the engine and by blipping the throttle all you are really doing is confusing the computer.
Not sure if you are already doing this, but when you go to start the Phazer you will hear a buzzing sound. From what I understand, that is the noise of the fuel pump running to pressurize or prime the system.
I dont personally own a Phazer, but I did have a Phazer FX on order last Fall, so I have done a fair amount of research about these sleds.
Last winter I did demo ride a Phazer GT. I was the first person to ride the sled that day and I can tell you for a fact that the sled had sat there all night and that it hadnt been started that day. The temps were -10 F. When the Yamaha reps said to everyone in the first demo ride group, "alright, fire 'em up" I turned the key to "on" but didnt crank the engine until the buzzing stopped. When the buzzing stopped I turned the key to start and the sled fired right up in 2 or 3 seconds.
IMO, most of the problems people have with the Phazer taking forever to start is because they dont wait for the fuel pump to prime the system.

I have a Phazer Fx and I always wait to fuel pump to pressurize the line before I crank it over. It Still is slow to start. At 15 below it is barely cranking & took a couple trys before it started. Not a very comforting thing when you're many miles from help.

All I know is that friends don't let friends touch the throttle while starting with EFI. They tend to let you know their feelings ;):D

lucky_7 said:
All I know is that friends don't let friends touch the throttle while starting with EFI. They tend to let you know their feelings ;):D

You know soon enough!! :4STroke:

Back