• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 Viper hard start

NYTurbo

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
2017 Viper starts really hard, cranks fast and takes like 5-6 seconds to start, when cold out forget it. If you stop cranking and then crank again it’s very slow and kills the battery quickly. Battery tests good and is a year old, Ive tried different batteries with the same result. When it does start it runs fine but go to re start and again it takes 5-6 seconds of cranking to start.

Any ideas ?

2017 Viper starts really hard, cranks fast and takes like 5-6 seconds to start, when cold out forget it. If you stop cranking and then crank again it’s very slow and kills the battery quickly. Battery tests good and is a year old, Ive tried different batteries with the same result. When it does start it runs fine but go to re start and again it takes 5-6 seconds of cranking to start.

Any ideas ?
Have you checked that the marks on the reluctor ring line up perfectly.
Does it have the most recent flash.
Many miles on it?

I’ll check ring tomorrow. Only 4000 miles and guy that owns it says flash was upgraded last year.

Starting my viper was like exactly like you described. You said the starter kill the battery quickly...
Replace the starter it's only 149.99$ at Royal distributing. I replaced mine last year and now it start in 2-3 sec max hot or cold.

Starter was replaced last year , but could of been a bad one out of the gate. I agree though it sure seems like It could very well be a starter.

Some of these starters for $150 are questionable. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were easy to change, like on the four cylinder.
I'm not sure which one of the 'cheapies' are the best. Kimpex does offer a Heavy Duty version, but they are out of stock right now.

JUst texted owner, dealer put a aftermarket starter in it. So god knows what it was

It's too bad the manufacturers charge such outrageous prices for some items.
I remember being at one of the Yamaha technical update schools in Toronto back around the year 2000 or so.
The Yamaha service rep told us to let them know if they are getting beat badly on price by the aftermarket, they could possibly adjust, to compete better.
Well hey Yamaha.....are you listening...?

A couple other things to check.
Fuel pressure and valve clearance.

The aftermarket starter is putting too much of a amp draw on the system, when the voltage drops it shuts off the injectors. I'm fixing one exactly the same symptoms right now.

The aftermarket starter is putting too much of a amp draw on the system, when the voltage drops it shuts off the injectors. I'm fixing one exactly the same symptoms right now.
Do you stay with the OEM starter?

Any ideas ?
My 2016 has always taken 3-5 sec to start (12,000 miles) even when warmed up. Had trouble with cold weather one year and I changed the plugs and problem solved. I change the plugs every couple of thousand miles now. I'm outside of Wpg. and we get some cold here. I started with the cheapest fix and it worked for me. The plugs are easy to change.

So on the one I'm working on I tried a new OEM starter, cranks over good, but still will not start when cold. If I spray carb clean in the intake (MPI turbo kit on it), it'll fire off and once it's warm, will start again every time, but when cold will not start. I have checked cam timing, valve clearances, reluctor wheel phasing, unplugged GEMS box, tried another ECU (older flash), fresh pump gas, fuel pressure, spark plugs, swapped crank signal pickup, and checked TPS settings through diagnostics on dash. My next step is to take the throttle bodies completely off and see if I can swap sensor(s) (IAC or MAP) and see if that fixes anything or just start the damn thing on fire and wait to call 911?

Back