• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat announces new 858 cc for Catalyst at Haydays

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
Arctic Cat just announced new 858 CC twin for Catalyst chassis. 11% more power than previous Cat 800s and 4% lighter than 600.
Based on 2023 800 being advertised at 166 HP, this new engine should have about 183 HP in stock form. It is also mounted a tad lower in chassis than 600.

Here are a few pics we took.

IMG_4860.jpeg
IMG_4859.jpeg
IMG_4858.jpeg
IMG_4857.jpeg
IMG_4855.jpeg
IMG_4854.jpeg
IMG_4853.jpeg
IMG_4852.jpeg

Sled manufacturers are laughing...2 strokes are cheap to manufacture...don't last long and sell for the same price as a 998 Turbo high tech four stroke that has higher costs to produce , needs little dealer maintenance , and lasts a lot longer then any two stroke[except Yamaha "Red Head Triples]....hmmm....who is winning here.
One born every minute....

Ya - for all the years yamaha ran the 999, 1049, 998 and got amazing, trouble free life from those engines - it never really stuck with the greater market. Just talk to any ski doo guy - they love their sleds and rave that they never have issues - cause they trade it every season........
MS

Arctic Cat just announced new 858 CC twin for Catalyst chassis. 11% more power than previous Cat 800s and 4% lighter than 600.
Based on 2023 800 being advertised at 166 HP, this new engine should have about 183 HP in stock form. It is also mounted a tad lower in chassis than 600.
I'd put it closer to 170-175

After you rack about 7000 miles on you can also see all the internals without having to grind them open....

Intake and exhaust on the same side. You'd need a ground up redesign on the 998 4-banger to do that. Not sure if it's even possible. How would you flow intake and exhaust in opposite directions on the same side?

After you rack about 7000 miles on you can also see all the internals without having to grind them open....
Having said that, I think this will be every bit as fast as the other 850's, if not faster(but no match for a Turbo).
Probably better handling also.
It will still lack in the fit and finish department, as Cat always has.

Amazes me too that this being the last segment of powersports that still pushes 2smoke engines. Mountain guys okay perhaps but for the big mile trail guy who wants to keep his sled without carrying a skiboose full of oil it just boggles my mind.

Another 170 hp 2 stroke, lots of hype for 850 everyone else has lol . The biggest news is the gps gauge for the kind of snowmobiling I do . Looks to be on par with the Polaris S7 gauge. If the sidewinder had that it would be set for another 5 years and still leading the way.

Back