• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat announces new 858 cc for Catalyst at Haydays

I was watching an interview done at the snowest show with some cat employees and the comment there was that the new 858 equipped catalyst is lighter than the current 600 catalyst. The block is lighter and the exhaust is lighter. If so, that is truly impressive. The comment in response to customer questions about weight concerns with the 858 (top heavy, etc) and the response that it is actually better than the 600 backs up that it is lighter weight and same low CG. Still don't want a 2 stroke but if all of that is true, it will be a winner package for cat.

Same statement in the snowtrax video

Last edited:

It will be a winning package if Cat executes it properly. Let’s hope this goes better than the last time they introduced a new chassis.

It will be a winning package if Cat executes it properly. Let’s hope this goes better than the last time they introduced a new chassis.
They are certainly taking there time. The biggest problem with 2012 procross was the lack of quality checks.

Yamaha fixed that

They are certainly taking there time. The biggest problem with 2012 procross was the lack of quality checks.

Yamaha fixed that
Really? They still seem to come with the same problems that have always existed. Just now we have fixes figured out for most of them and a great list put together thanks to many members on this site.
On a different note has anyone else wondered if the shaft bearings on the catalyst belt drive are gonna be twice the trouble they are on the procross? At least the 2 bearings in the chain case side that are lubed don’t cause many problems compared to the sealed bearings on the other ends. None of the belt drive bearings will be running in a lube filled case. Anyone looked to see if they have zerks on any of them or if they are locked to the shafts in any way?

Really? They still seem to come with the same problems that have always existed. Just now we have fixes figured out for most of them and a great list put together thanks to many members on this site.
On a different note has anyone else wondered if the shaft bearings on the catalyst belt drive are gonna be twice the trouble they are on the procross? At least the 2 bearings in the chain case side that are lubed don’t cause many problems compared to the sealed bearings on the other ends. None of the belt drive bearings will be running in a lube filled case. Anyone looked to see if they have zerks on any of them or if they are locked to the shafts in any way?
You didn’t wanna see a 2012-2013 procross then. Lol

I think it is mild steel. I read nothing about Chrome moly. I suspect Cat was sensitive to the strength verses weight issue when building the Catalyst. The old Firecat was light, fast and could be broken in half when ridden really hard through big moguls. Saw lots of cracked bulkheads over the years. We will see how they hold up in the field. I know guys that can break an anvil.
This is what worries me especially the tube frame to tunnel intersection. Its just bolted to the side of tunnel at bottom where our Procross Chassis are sandwiched in by the two layer tunnel and we all still have issues with the thing flexing right in that area. Goal is to get a 858M when available. Have to have a 4st for Trailriding for sure. Off trail a 2st definitely lasts a long time.

There is a BIG difference between a design failure/fix and a quality fix.

A lot of the fixes that are done around here are design fixes. There was a littany of qa checks missed due to the CEO order of "Just ship it"

Was looking at the catalyst 858 for the first time today in person. That motor sits about as low as physically possible, basically almost touching the horizontal tubes at the bottom of the chassis and leaning back against the tunnel. Jumped up and down on the running boards a bunch (nobody at the show this morning) and the cat guy thought it was pretty funny. They didn't even flex that I could feel. Lots of space above the motor but I doubt they can get a3 cyl in there even if the motor was canted forward.

Catalyst Side View.jpg

Attachments

• Catalyst Side View.jpg
    Catalyst Side View.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 34
My guess is that if/when cat decides what to do with 4 strokes, they will create a wider front clip for the engine. Once the 858 is out on the snow, I would expect to see a new skid frame for the Catalyst.

Back