• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain and gears question

guardrail

Lifetime Member
I'm trying to replace my chain and gears. When I put the second bottom gear on, There's not enough space for the circlip. It looks like it needs another .030" It's like the shaft needs to slide out a little bit. The snap ring was tuff coming out. But not to the point where I didn't think i couldn't get it back in.

Anybody else run into this?

Last edited:

Thanks that did it!

Just got the sled, first time working on it. Coming off an AttakGT.

I figured there was some kind trick to it.

I have a standard BTX le 153. I drive in deep snow and have torn 2 8jp belts in the last 500 km. My clutch is getting very hot. Based on the specification, I have 24T on top, 50T on the bottom, 92 chains. 8-tooth drive.
I have a manual from viper where the maximum that can be set is 21T from the top, 49T from the bottom, 90 chains. I want to replace the driver with 7 teeth. Thereby achieve greater torque and less load on the belt in deep snow. Like the M-TX.

Am I reasoning correctly? Are there other gear ratios of the upper and lower gears?
Do I need to change the springs and what weight of loads I will need.

Screenshot_20230227_115937.jpgScreenshot_20220509_215839_com.google.android.apps.docs_edit_1222747806916545.jpg

Last edited:
Can I install 21T on top if there is 50T on the bottom and the chain costs 92 links?

Вам понадобится цепочка из 90 звеньев.

21+50/2+54,19= 89,69
Можно ли использовать цепь 90 от М1100/M9000 Турбо?
90П (широкий 15) 2602-373

Last edited:
You need a 90 link chain.

21+50/2+54.19= 89.69
Which chain is needed for 22/50? 22+50/2+54.19=90.19

90 will be a little, 92 - a lot. What to choose?

92 but you'll have a big dogleg. I'd choose a different gear ratio myself.
Big dogleg = not a lot of room for tension adjustment + inevitable chain stretch = need a new chain frequently.

My friend tried to try on chains for 90 and 92 links, for a 21/50 transmission. Nothing came of it. It is not even possible to install gears on 90 chains. 90 is short, 92 is long. He has XTX. Is there a difference, besides chains and gears, in boxes between XTX, BTX, MTX?

I'll try 22/50 with a 92 chain.

What happens when the formula works out to 86.69?

You have to round up the number from the formula to the next whole integer (no fractions) and then you have to move up to the next logical chain size. If that larger chain is too long you end up with a dog leg in the chain and if the dog leg is too large the chain will not run efficiently. You typically want to stick with gear combinations with no dog leg.

You have to round up the number from the formula to the next whole integer (no fractions) and then you have to move up to the next logical chain size. If that larger chain is too long you end up with a dog leg in the chain and if the dog leg is too large the chain will not run efficiently. You typically want to stick with gear combinations with no dog leg.
Understood. I've read here in past posts that a formula ending in .19 is easier to fit then a formula ending in .69.
But no discussion in regards to a resolution.
All I can assume from that is, that if you can make the .69 fit, to do so.
If you can't, you'll need to round up?!?!
I'm assuming with chain stretch, it will go.
I'm like....which is the lessor of two evils in this particular situation. Too long or too short.

Back