• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case chain broken - What should I buy

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
09 apex while racing my buddy today my chain broken in my chain case. Looking for suggestions

- I went down one tooth on the top sprocket, should I stay with the stock length chain of 70L or go smaller
- What brand should I buy
- How much oil does the chain case take
- What weight oil should I get

Thanks

this is the results

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220227_145846.jpg
    thumbnail_20220227_145846.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 157
Yamaha OEM 70 link chain, 8.5 oz Yamalube chain case oil.

so you think I should stay with the stock 70 link chain and not go down to a 68 even though I did drop down one tooth on top gear?

any other suggestions then the Yamalube for the chain case? I don't have a deal really that close to me

I had to switch to 75/140 gear lube to keep my chain stretching every other year on my boosted apex. I would run any 75/90 fluid that is local. The OEM chain is the most durable, they are a wear item.

I not sure what tooth I am running, all I know is I am one smaller than stock.

When I open the chain case it had plenty of oil in it so it was not dry

I will stay with the OEM chain but just wanted to check and see if I should stay with the 70 or if I can go down to a 68

Thanks for the help

One thing I did notice was when I drain the oil before taking the cover off it was a darkish grey in color and was just changed at the end of last year. Not sure what caused this or if that happen after the chain broke. Found a bunch of little chain piece on the bottom of the chain case when I took the chain out

any 80w90 or 75w90 gear lube will work fine. stay with the 70l. i change my oil annually as well but i did rebearing my 11 around the 12000 mi mark after my rx lost a cage on one of the chain case bearings around the same milage. did the gears and chain at the same time. how many miles on the sled when it let go?

7000 miles. Just did all new bearing as I did a track extension from 121 to 136. Is there a difference between gear oil and chain oil

not really. i personally use royal purple 75w140 in all my sleds or good synthetic gear lube.

Back