• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Case Failure?

service manual srv10-2014

Attachments

• viperservice.JPG
    viperservice.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 416

I believe that the bolt was so far turned out that that allowed the chaincase oil to leak out. Obviuosly the jam nut was loose as well. As I stated there was still some oil left in the lower chaincase.

We never discusssed seal, gasket, or bearings. I think I'll ask that question.....thanks.

freelance said:
I believe that the bolt was so far turned out that that allowed the chaincase oil to leak out. Obviuosly the jam nut was loose as well. As I stated there was still some oil left in the lower chaincase.

We never discusssed seal, gasket, or bearings. I think I'll ask that question.....thanks.

As I posted in that other thread,

Sorry that happened to you. But sounds like human error on the build and not a parts failure per se. Sorry it happened to you but glad only one out of thousands had this happen. Doesn't help you though.

Is it possible the chain became so loose it damaged the case and caused a leak? Just curious.

Thanks!

If it were me I would take a good look at the chaincase. They can be cracked very easily this would cause a leak.

There is no doubt that your bolt was out so....if that's where the oil leaked out, wouldn't there be a mess of oil splattered all over the inside of your machine instead of nicely pooled at the bottom/in you belly pan? I suspect the oil did not escape through the bolt hole and there are other issues. For it to nicely pool where it did, the oil likely seeped from the bottom of the chaincase. Definately a crack or leaking seal.

Sorry to hear about your story freelance. But the exact same story happened to me. Mine had only 225 miles on it. The jam nut on the tensioner wasn't tight at the factory, lost slowly my chaincase oil. The warranty covered everything, they even lend me another brand new viper during the time of the repair. Some parts were back order, they took parts from a new machine for getting me going. One thing is, 5 stars service Yamaha

pierre5150 said:
Sorry to hear about your story freelance. But the exact same story happened to me. Mine had only 225 miles on it. The jam nut on the tensioner wasn't tight at the factory, lost slowly my chaincase oil. The warranty covered everything, they even lend me another brand new viper during the time of the repair. Some parts were back order, they took parts from a new machine for getting me going. One thing is, 5 stars service Yamaha

Sorry it happened to you too !!

Is it possible you could pm me the list of new parts they put in. We may not have the exact same damage but it would be helpful for me to know what questions to ask in case I miss something. My dealership is awesome and is really working hard to put me back on the trail. So far I'm loving them !!!

Ride safe mon ami !!

UPDATE !!!

XTX is ready.....pick it up in the morning.

Exactly 1 week from when I took it in. My dealer really stepped up on this one. They've been outstanding !!

I know you all want to know what was replaced and will have your own opinions on what should have been replaced. I already know there is one part they couldn't get.....not physically damaged but subjected to high heat and therefore shortened it's lifespan.......that they will replace on a return visit as soon as it comes in. The plan was to get me back on the trail. Everything is covered under warranty including the return trip and anything else related that might happen. Everything has been documented by the regional Yamaha rep here.

I'll update again tomorrow when I know more !! All my spring order goodies are in too !!!

I was riding a 09 doo 1200 demo and it came out of gear. They had a recall if I remember it was a spring either had to much tension or not enough. What a racket it made at 75 mph. 700 miles on mine so far so good.

freelance said:
UPDATE !!!

XTX is ready.....pick it up in the morning.

Exactly 1 week from when I took it in. My dealer really stepped up on this one. They've been outstanding !!

I know you all want to know what was replaced and will have your own opinions on what should have been replaced. I already know there is one part they couldn't get.....not physically damaged but subjected to high heat and therefore shortened it's lifespan.......that they will replace on a return visit as soon as it comes in. The plan was to get me back on the trail. Everything is covered under warranty including the return trip and anything else related that might happen. Everything has been documented by the regional Yamaha rep here.

I'll update again tomorrow when I know more !! All my spring order goodies are in too !!!

Good to hear!

stingray719 said:
rehm70 said:
I sold my Apex 2 yrs ago and bought a turbo Cat.
Mistake.

Welcome to the Junkle everyone. The Arctic Cat, Junkle. You can hum along with the Guns and Roses song, it fits well.
1300mi last year, stock horsepower setting, and only blew 4belts......Junkle.
sprayed 5bottles of nitrous thru my Apex, that belt had 3500mi on it when it left.

loose bolts, weak parts, etc. Junkle.

I actually made the tensioner in my Cat manual this year, and was worried abt the problem above. Drilled the end of the head and stuck some simple safety wire thru. EZ bulletproofing.
Oh, also, best to take the entire body off and check for loose bolts/screws, and hoseclamps before you ride

Don't cry, just trade it in on a Viper.

what, and be bored? They put an Apex motor in it, then Ill go visit the dealer.
:sled2: :sled2:

I think I found another safety concern when it pops out of gear.

I know you should stay away from open water, but I was heading towards a 70 ft. open section of water and my sled popped out of gear. Luckily I was still on good ice, but could have been a bad seen. Shut the sled off, turned it back on, put it reverse, then forward and it was good. Felt kind of sick after this.

Only thing I can think of was when we stopped at the restaurant I backed into my parking spot, pressed the button to go into forward and then just shut the machine off....maybe it didn't go all the way into to gear. I took 100 miles after the restaurant for it to pop out of gear.

Will phone my dealer to see if Yamaha has a fix for this. Until then I will be staying away from the open water.

I have 1200 miles on my sled now and the gear oil was changed at 500.

OK.....I said I would update so here we go.

First off.....I'm not a mechanic so the part names mean nothing to me. I do, however, love to research things on the internet. Obviuosly, repairs are done on a case by case basis depending on how much damage is done, length of time machine is exposed to damage....blah, blah, blah, etc.

This link is to an exploded view of the Viper XTX Track Drive 2 or Chaincase.

http://www.motorsportmonster.com/pages/ ... SNOWMOBILE)/TRACK_DRIVE_2_(SR10XSER_-_2014)

My parts replaced by picture # in the exploded view.

#22 - chain
#13 - bearing
#19 drive sprocket assembly
#20 - gear reverse pinion (back order.......have to go back)
#8 - bearing
#25 - holder
#31 - fork shift 1 (back order.......have to go back)
#40 - ring housing
#12 - collar, 3
#11 - seal, oil

Love my dealer !! Repairs were done in a week when the initial time frame was 3-4 weeks. Fortunately, the regional Yamaha rep had a scheduled appointment with my dealer while my machine was there so it's all been documented.

You guys rock......you know who you are........you watch this site !!!!!

181 trouble-free miles today.....awesome !! Love this machine !!

OK....not trouble free.......I lost a handguard........F#@k !!!! LOL !!!

Long live the Yamacat !!

Attachments

• IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    552.7 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 220
freelance said:
OK.....I said I would update so here we go.

First off.....I'm not a mechanic so the part names mean nothing to me. I do, however, love to research things on the internet. Obviuosly, repairs are done on a case by case basis depending on how much damage is done, length of time machine is exposed to damage....blah, blah, blah, etc.

This link is to an exploded view of the Viper XTX Track Drive 2 or Chaincase.

http://www.motorsportmonster.com/pages/ ... SNOWMOBILE)/TRACK_DRIVE_2_(SR10XSER_-_2014)

My parts replaced by picture # in the exploded view.

#22 - chain
#13 - bearing
#19 drive sprocket assembly
#20 - gear reverse pinion (back order.......have to go back)
#8 - bearing
#25 - holder
#31 - fork shift 1 (back order.......have to go back)
#40 - ring housing
#12 - collar, 3
#11 - seal, oil

Love my dealer !! Repairs were done in a week when the initial time frame was 3-4 weeks. Fortunately, the regional Yamaha rep had a scheduled appointment with my dealer while my machine was there so it's all been documented.

You guys rock......you know who you are........you watch this site !!!!!

181 trouble-free miles today.....awesome !! Love this machine !!

OK....not trouble free.......I lost a handguard........F#@k !!!! LOL !!!

Long live the Yamacat !!
I know that warming shack lol

Back