• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Wear

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
It's time to do my top gear so I am going to replace the chain while it's apart, is the stock Yamaha chain the best option? Are there other options?

2017 LTX LE 22/41 gearing

also is there a better oil reservoir gasket?

Stock '18 & newer o-ring seal is just fine. As far as I know, the stock Yamaha/Cat chain is really the only option. They work fine, they just stretch over time. Best to use 15-wide gears and chain although 13 wide lower gear is fine too.

Stock chain is a Borg-Warner chain and very good quality. I believe Hurricane sells the same along with Wahl Bros.

Your dont need to replace the o-ring on the chain case cover, they are reusable no problem.

how many km should one expect to safely get from a stock chain runing a tune?

It's time to do my top gear so I am going to replace the chain while it's apart, is the stock Yamaha chain the best option? Are there other options?

2017 LTX LE 22/41 gearing

also is there a better oil reservoir gasket?

Might be a little tight to get new chain around 22/41 gears. Usually, I let it stretch a little with the 21/41 before gearing up to the 22.

Might be a little tight to get new chain around 22/41 gears. Usually, I let it stretch a little with the 21/41 before gearing up to the 22.
Yes this is true.. A new chain can be installed on 22/41 gears but it very tight to start.. If you choose to install new chain on 22/41 gears be sure to take it easy for a 100 miles at least.. Letting it stretch a little with 21 top is a good idea though..

I ordered a stock one for replacement, seemed to have quite a bit of stretch at 8,000 miles!

Last edited:
When change the chain do you have change all the gears even if they look new?

When change the chain do you have change all the gears even if they look new?
Your gears are probably fine.. If they look good then the chain only is not a issue.. So NO you don't need to change the gears when doing a chain change

Your gears are probably fine.. If they look good then the chain only is not a issue.. So NO you don't need to change the gears when doing a chain change
Thanks. Looks like I’ll be keeping it for a while so time for a full refresh. But for power steering and auto adjust suspension, looks and runs like new.

How many miles are we talking on chain Before changing. I know guys with original chains over 15,000 miles

Back