• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase bearings - when to replace?

quefz6

Hi,

I am the owner of a 2006 Vector with 4750 miles on it. When should I look at replacing the chaincase bearings? How can someone know if they are good or not? Noise and vibrations?

Thank you!

Noise and vibration are good signs as well as drive shaft movement... If your in the chain case and or speedo side, I would replace them.

I have changed the speedo bearing last winter and will inspect it this year (I only made 1200 miles last winter) . In fact, I am asking this because I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to diassemble the chaincase at this mileage.

I would'nt take it apart to inspect it unless you had cause like you notice a new vibration, leak or noise and have eliminated all other possible causes. You are well below the miles that people start to have chaincase issues. That gearbox is well built and robust and rarely do I ever hear of someone with problems with them.

I got 8,000 miles out of my original chain case bearings... they had no sign of fatitigue, but had the bearings so did it for peice of mind.

dexter said:
I got 8,000 miles out of my original chain case bearings... they had no sign of fatitigue, but had the bearings so did it for peice of mind.

What made you tear it down? Ya once it's apart just as well to replace all bearings and seals.

Only my 2 cents here:
The clutch side jackshaft bearing is the guy that need the closer babysitting imo. Well, given that chaincase oil was regularly replaced/filled/checked. Having said that, at 10k, vibe/noise or not, remove secondary pulley and chaincase cover + chain so you can feel smootness when rotating the shaft by hand. I did the job myself at 16000km. and yes the bearing was clearly marked. Being dirty hands, i replaced both top chaincase as well.

Have 11,000 miles on my Vector. Haven't changed a jackshaft or driveshaft bearing yet. However I do pop the seals off the clutch side bearings and regrease twice a season. My track will probably be done after this season, so will replace the bearings when I change my track next year since I'm in there. These bearings can last quite a long time if treated properly.

ahamay said:
dexter said:

What made you tear it down? Ya once it's apart just as well to replace all bearings and seals.

I was swapping tracks so figured might as well. I lube the secondary and drive shaft bearing once a year like mentioned. I use marine bearing grease because it repels the water.

You sjould pull the case every year, you never know what you could fine. I pulled the case on my 08 apex mtx and found a bad link in the chain. Pull it take only a hour or two if new to it. Theres a write up on how to do it in the apex F/Q with step by step with pics.

Pull the flipping chain case every year!! Come on guys, your freaking me out. (Fluid change & adjustment) I've changed all the fluids every year with the exception of the coolant and haven't had one issue. I bought this sled for the simple fact, that I don't have to do that crap. Common sense and regular maintenance goes along way but, if you beat the snot out of your sled your opening a whole can of work. Just my 2 cents.

I think every year is over kill but if you see the need, go for it. Its the only way you may have peace of mind... you could at least pull the cover if nothing else once you have drained the oil.

My speedo bearing went out at 5K miles on my Warrior. Noticed my speedo going crazy and stopped to check it out. Thankfully it didn't damage the tunnel but it was the worse day of snowmobiling we ever had trying to get that sled out of the woods. I then did decided I better do the bearings on the 05 Vector and they were junk too at 5800 miles. The speedo bearing wouldn't even turn. I never tried removing the seals and greasing with a needle from fear of damaging the seal but it seems guys are getting more life out of them that do it. I would replace them if I were you.

I will be changing all of them every 3-4K miles from now on. I learned the hard way. Other than that I change the case oil every year and check the chain tension.

Thanks to this site, I've been lucky and caught the clutch side bearings before there was a issue. The clutch side bearings are, imo, now considered regular maintenance and done at least twice a season. After pulling the belt and secondary, it's about a five minute job.

I quess its always been a part of my spring-summer maintenance program to pull the seals on all the bearings, clean them, pack them and re-install the seal. I've never replaced a bearing. 03 RX-1 had 13,000 miles, 07 Attack had 9,000 miles, 08 Vector had 8,700 miles, and Nytro RTX had 7,300 miles.

Back