• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase gasket

Derailed

Veteran
Hello Everyone,

I’m in the process of doing the chaincase fluid change on my 2016 Viper. I bought it new from the dealer and have never had it serviced by anyone but myself. When I opened the chaincase I found it was gooped with gasket maker.. obviously this wasn’t done at the factory so I’m just trying to understand why the dealer would have done this to a brand new sled, is there even a reason for them to open the chaincase? Or perhaps was there a known chaincase leak problem?

I’m thinking of cleaning up the housings and getting a new gasket and installing normally. What do you guys recommend?

Also, I noticed there was only 3 bolts/nuts on my muffler but 4 holes, I’m assuming there should be all 4 installed correct?

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I’m in the process of doing the chaincase fluid change on my 2016 Viper. I bought it new from the dealer and have never had it serviced by anyone but myself. When I opened the chaincase I found it was gooped with gasket maker.. obviously this wasn’t done at the factory so I’m just trying to understand why the dealer would have done this to a brand new sled, is there even a reason for them to open the chaincase? Or perhaps was there a known chaincase leak problem?

I’m thinking of cleaning up the housings and getting a new gasket and installing normally. What do you guys recommend?

Also, I noticed there was only 3 bolts/nuts on my muffler but 4 holes, I’m assuming there should be all 4 installed correct?

Thanks
No, only 3 bolts in muffler. Don’t know why 4 holes.
As far as the chain case gasket, get the goop cleaned up, and get the gasket from the dealer. I replace mine every time. My dealer stocks the gasket.

Have done my chain case several times, the chain chase has a rubber gasket so on need to use gasket maker. Have never replace it and no problem to date. But not the oil tank that bolts to the chain case cover requires gasket maker to make a seal and this is done right from the factory like this.

Ok thanks for reassurance. I guess the mechanic at the dealer maybe has some old habits or they ran out of gaskets..

Have you ever seen a specific pattern to torque the cover down? I generally start near the middle and do some type of crisscrossing to 12ft lbs?

Thanks

Back