• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing the Oil

RX1Maine

Extreme
I have always had my dealer change my oil in my sleds and this year I am going to do it my self as they want 150 dollars per sled to do it. I have a 04 RX1 and a 07 RTX. Can you give me any tips to make it as easy as possible.

Thanks

Are you going to change filters or just the oil?

Oil change you have two drains one on the tank and one on the engine that you get to with the access panel. Drain both, then fill the tank with 3 qts, start and run the sled, make sure the level goes down in the tank and then add another qt.

Optional but reccomended is to remove the two allen bolts on the bottom of the tank and clean the screen in the oil tank, mine was filthy. Its a metal screen so brake cleaner works well make sure its dry before reinstalling.

Also filter is reccomended every 12k miles but to change them you need more patience and to take apart more peices. Do a search for that.

change the filter too, cheap insurance ;)!
And do pull out that screen in the bottom of the oil tank. Eveyone I have done on my sleds were filled with junk like gasket material and silicon sealant pieces. I'm sure it's from when the engine was originally assembled.

The only way changing your own oil would effect your warranty would be if you did something stupid like cross threading the filter, allowing the oil to leak out and seizing the engine.
They can not dictate who changes the oil nor the brand you use......

Mighty I'm not trying to argue with you here but unless you have pictures of mileage and the date on the pictures and the time ect. blahh, blahh, blahh, you better have a lawyer for free or they will make you spend more in time and money than if you just replaced the motor! Nerver happend to me but can just imagine. Cody is right on his response but if you don't have a good dealer behind you your fuc@$$.

horny red devil said:
Mighty I'm not trying to argue with you here but unless you have pictures of mileage and the date on the pictures and the time ect. blahh, blahh, blahh, you better have a lawyer for free or they will make you spend more in time and money than if you just replaced the motor! Nerver happend to me but can just imagine. Cody is right on his response but if you don't have a good dealer behind you your fuc@$$.

It is not a bad idea to record the mileage and dates of your oil changes but it is not necessary. They cannot void your warranty because you change your own oil or because you use a different brand of oil. As long as it meets the manufacturers specifications it is ok to use.

Neither Yamaha or your dealer can dictate which brand of oil you should use in your sled. If Yamaha mandated a specific oil and would not cover any oil related warranty claims if not used, they would have to provide you that oil to you at no cost. Changing your own oil has no effect on warranty, unless (as mighty mentioned) you screw something up like, not tighten your filter, leave a loose drain bolt...etc, or use the wrong grade of oil. Always keep reciepts of your oil and filter purchases along with oil change dates and record your mileage.

I knew you can change your own oil as long as you kept receipts and mileage, but always thought if you did not use their oil under warranty they would give you hard time if something failed? See you learn something new every day.

My RS Venture just got it's 22nd oil change, includes summer storage oil changes. I store the sled with fresh oil.

Doing your own oil changes does save money.

I still use Yama-Lube because of its blended / semi-synthetic properties.

The valve train check at 22,500 miles showed the internal parts of the engine to be spotless and sludge free. I change oil every 2,000 miles which is recommended on the 2005 Venture. Since 2005 Yamaha has increased oil change mileage to 2,500 miles.

I use a NAPA 1358 oil filter which is a bit longer than Yamaha's stock filter. The filter fits with no difficulty.

One point my mechanic brought up which was a very good point and something to think about is; since the aftermarket oil filter is longer and is positioned closer to the frame, should I hit a rock or obstacle and damage the under-frame, the under-frame damage could also possibly damage, or puncture the filter, meaning the sled could not be driven very far with filter damage.

Just food for thought... I am comfortable with my choice.

I change oil filters every 4,000 miles. The book says 12,000 which is fine too. After the first oil change the engine should be metal flake or machine filing free from the manufacturing process.

Oil changes are very easy on the RS series sleds because there is an oil filter access panel. I do know the Apex requires more pieces to be removed to access the filter. I haven't really looked at an RX series sled.

Hope this helps! ;)!

You have to remove the battery tray on the the RX1's and to do this there are two hoses a oil and coolant hose get in the way, its a PITA. Vectors are soo nice, when we do my old mans sled takes all of 15 minutes for oil and filter. I'm following the 12K guidlines on the filter changes :)

JUST REMEMBER WHEN U REMOVE UR OIL FILTER TO MAKE SURE U GET THE O-RING FROM THE OLD FILTER. IF THAT STAYS ON THERE AND U PUT THE NEW FILTER ON IT WON'T FIT HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO CAUSING OIL TO LEAK OUT. :o|

I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT BUT JUST A VERY IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER AND ITS SOMETHING U CAN EASILY OVERLOOK.

Back