• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing track on 98' SX

Rx1man81689

My friend and I tried to put on his track for him tonight and we ran into a standstill. We got the chaincase cover off and the lower gear off and the cotter pin off. We also got the two set screws out of the driveshaft (on the primary side) and the 3 nuts that hold the bearing on (also on the primary side) and also got the bearing off on that side as well. We can't figure out however why the drive shaft wont slide towards the chaincase side. It will freely slide all the way to the left (Primary clutch side) (and assuming you were sitting on the sled) however will not go to the right (Chaincase side). Is it because the bearing is still in the chain case? We couldnt seem to get that bearing to come out of there even after we got the cotter pin out. Are we missing something here or does anyone know were there are some good directions on how to do this? I feel like we're real close to getting it to come out but have yet to get it out. Thanks for the help guys ya normally come threw.

You have to take off the whole chaincase, not only the cover and lower gear to get the driveshaft out.

Ditto on what he said. Have to take the 14mm bolt off of the bottom gear and th large 23 or 24 mm (size ?) nut off the top gear, take the gears and chain off (loosen the chain tensioner on right side of chain case (12mm bolt with 14mm jamb nut). Make sure to keep track of the spacers used for the gears when you take them off. And take the chain case entirely off. Good luck!

--Steve (O.C)

Back