• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cheap or FREE Viper Mods

8DN drive belt for Viper.

Use any old 8DN from previous Yamahas and add one washer each to deflection bolts.
Expect price from 55 to 65 dollars for new

FREE. Store your spare belt on top of the clutch guard. No tools needs. Just stuff the top of the belt under the hood slightly and the close the side door. The belt can't move or go anywhere once the door is shut.

20151006_171626.jpg

Last edited:
FREE. Store your spare belt on top of the clutch guard. No tools needs.

How did you fit the belt on top of the guard? Are you using the 8JP or 8DN (although there shouldn't be that much of a difference). It would love to be able to do this!

How about rear skid plate quick access oil plate cover removal. Going on two seasons with no issues. Look in FAQ at top of page for details under bleedys oil access cover skid plate

I wouldn't call it inexpensive or free, but I put the Yamaha hand guards (with aluminum mounts) on the sled. The wings of the stock windshield hit the hand guards, so I purchased the new '16 LE windshield which looks almost the same. Not any warmer, but my hands are definitely protected more from trail debris and low hanging branches. In my opinion, a great modification to the snowmobile. I would also recommend installing the belly pan protectors. I ride with a guy on a '08 Apex GT and he nearly took out his oil pressure sensor which is on the bottom of the motor (he now has a guard on as well). The belly guard is just another investment to protect the vulnerable areas of the snowmobile.

Have a couple guys with LTX and RTX who just revalved the rear shock. $80 is a HUGE improvement for little $.
Tach Recall. How many know all the features your gauge has? Reading manual and info here is free and very useful!

Have a couple guys with LTX and RTX who just revalved the rear shock. $80 is a HUGE improvement for little $.
Tach Recall. How many know all the features your gauge has? Reading manual and info here is free and very useful!

LOL you started it now explain the tach recall and more importantly the Temp gauge.

I think that the Viper gauge is one of the best in the industry. I haven't looked at Ski-Doo's or the new Polaris Axys gauge, but all of the features available on the new gauge are completely relevant. I don't believe it's as high a quality compared to what riders will find on the "pure" Yamahas, but having the coolant and intake temperatures is extremely useful. Knowing what my Viper will run at for normal temps (between 155°F and 170°F) is awesome, as is the "Cold-Drive-Away" function.

LOL you started it now explain the tach recall and more importantly the Temp gauge.
It's all in the manual! Diagnostic mode is free. It's two opposite buttons you push I think. Heck I am going to have to make a post with guage operation. I can't remember it all myself!

Butterfly thumb screw for the seat, even the chrome one was only $2.99 at my local hardware store.

Battery tender cord, bolts to your battery and the end sticks out of the hole on the bottom of the seat. $8.95

Everyone has a different interpretation of cheap. We offer a few products around $100 or less that in our opinion are must haves. Detailed info on each product is available on my website...www.barnofparts.com

soft start clutch spring....$30.....lowers engagmament RPM for easy low speed maneuvers. No more lurching and track spin when on and off gas.

fan reverse harness....$24....plug and play harness that reverses direction of fan. Prevents hot air from blowing into airbox opening

heavy duty oil filter access panel....$22......thicker plate for better protection.Cheap insurance for those that don't want a full skid plate.

fuse box relocate kit...$100.....relocates fuse block so easily accessible with just removal of the clutch cover. A fan harness is included as part of this kit and we can offer it in the reverse variation so you essentially get two great benefits from this kit. ;)!

Japan throttle kit....$110.... install the apex/vector/nytro lever which is much more comfortable. Plug and play adapter harness also increases heat output on the hi setting

Back