• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CKX Heated Boot

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
So a friend of ours who has never ridden before decides he wants join us on our weekend outings. We find him a great deal on a 1200 grand touring (he wanted a two-up sled). The first half of the day he does fine then we stop to gas up and head back to the trails, after a couple of miles we hear 'hey my sled is on fire' over the Cardo. We stop and the left side of the sled has flames coming out of the footwell. This is the aftermath. Turns out he forgot to disengage the emergency brake. Took us the better part of the afternoon to replace his brake (what a PAIN) and his switch cluster on the left bar. The sled, is otherwise undamaged amazingly and so is he other than a blow to his pride. Despite the hole in the boot he never got a burn, just scorched socks. Very lucky that rubber didn't melt through onto his skin.

We are teasing him mercilessly about his new CKX heated boots. Funny thing though, Amazon screwed up when he ordered the first pair and ended up shipping a second pair by accident and amazon told him to just keep them so he isn't even out a pair of new boots.

CKX Heated Boot.png

My niece had a similar boot fire. Very dangerous to leave the brake locked on. Would be nice if there was some indicator.

My niece had a similar boot fire. Very dangerous to leave the brake locked on. Would be nice if there was some indicator.
Or... just always check the lever before taking off. If you even so much as glance at the parking brake lever, you'll know in an instant whether or not it is set.

We were surprised he even knew where the brake lock was.

Back