• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CKX Mission AMS Helmet

I think I just broke the sunglass lever on mine. Hopefully warranty takes care of it.

Nice write up. I think I will retire the Titan next year for this.

My assessment is pretty much spot on with snoden. I have had a ski so mod 2, a bv2s and my present 509 r3, and this helmet is way better in all areas. I just wish I could remember to put sun shade up before opening helmet, cause I have heard some say they have issues when they don’t put it up before opening shield. So far I haven’t, and I’ve done it a dozen times.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their input on this thread I recently pulled the trigger and ordered a couple of the Mission helmets for myself and my wife for this season. She's been riding with one of the older Yamaha Sno Force helmets that's been getting quite long in the tooth and I've been riding a moto cross style Shoei helmet with prescription goggles for many years.

It seems like the Mission helmet will be an excellent choice and checks off all the boxes for us:

We can wear our glasses comfortably with it. My goggles limited my field of vision, and the Mission has the widest field of vision that I've ever seen in a full face helmet. It's warm. It's quiet. It's relatively light. It has different tint sunvisors available for changing light conditions. You can eat and drink without removing the helmet. The fit is spot on. The chin strap is super easy to use even with gloves on. Different thickness cheek pads are available, as is a different size breath box for a custom fit. I really like the color choices that are available this year. Due to the comments on this thread I decided to go with the non heated shields.

We were able to try them on at a local dealer for fitment and found the CKX sizing chart to be spot on. When I first found out about these helmets last year I checked with Port Yamaha and at that time they didn't carry the CKX brand. I was just about ready to order from a local dealer last week but I thought I'd check with Kevin from Port Yamaha. Boy, am I glad I did. They recently picked up the CKX brand. I like to support the companies like Port Yamaha that support TY, and Kevin took care of us.

I ordered the helmets last Thursday and Kevin is shipping out the helmets today, one week after I placed the order. Once we get some snow and we have a chance to log on some miles I'll post up our thoughts on the new helmets. Here's some pics of the colors that we ordered...

View attachment 157817 View attachment 157818
View attachment 157819 View attachment 157820
View attachment 157821
How are you wearing this helmet with glasses when the nose guard comes down close to your eyes and on your nose? I want my wife to get this helmet but I don’t think she will be able to close the shield with glasses on

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would post my thoughts on the new Mission helmets that my wife and I picked up once we had a chance to try them out. We finally had a chance to get out last week in the UP and here are some of my thoughts....

I've worn glasses all my life and for the last 25 years or so I've been using Pro-Vue prescription goggles with a motocross style helmet with a good balaclava to keep my face warm. This setup worked pretty well for me but at times I would experience fogged up goggles, especially when stopped or going slow. My previous attempts to wear glasses with a helmet always resulted in fogged glasses and face shields. I also have found that goggles would limit my field of vision. Whenever I stopped trailside to eat or drink something I always had to remove the helmet/goggles/balaclava.

The Mission helmet has addressed all of these issues with great success for both of us. First and foremost we both found that you need to spend some time fine tuning the breath box to the contour of your face to get a good comfortable seal that allows your breath to exit the helmet as it's designed to do. With the adjustable straps that attach the breath box to the face shield this is a fairly easy thing to do. The rubberized material that CKX uses is really comfortable to your skin and does an excellent job sticking to your skin while riding to give a good seal that prevents fogging of the shield. Neither of us encountered any fogging of our shields while riding at any speeds. I kept my shield down whenever we stopped to gas up and didn't have any fogging going into the station to pay or coming out. Previously, my goggles would always fog up when entering/exiting a heated building.

One thing that I would like to elaborate on is for anyone who wears glasses. It took me a little time in coming up with the best way to put my glasses on/off with the helmet. Since the breath box is attached to the face shield you need to put your glasses on with the face shield fully open after putting the helmet on. The foam liner in the helmet fits fairly snug against your head and I found it takes a little time to work the stems of my glasses back to my ears. Once your glasses are comfortably positioned on your head you can lower the face shield to the riding position. As you lower the shield the breath box will slide over your glasses, which feels a little weird until the shield is fully closed and the breath box is now under your glasses. Since the breath box is so flexible I found that before I'd lower the shield I would use one hand to push the breath box out of the way while lowering the shield over my glasses so my glasses stay properly positioned on my face and don't get pulled down by the breath box going over them as I lower the shield. You need to use one hand inside the helmet and the other hand outside the helmet to lower the shield. Once the shield is lowered you can reach into the helmet from the bottom to properly adjust the breath box to gain the proper seal over your nose under your glasses. Hopefully this makes sense, but having the breath box properly sealed under your glasses will result in zero fogging of your glasses along with a comfortable fit for your glasses on your face.

I chose to purchase the helmets with the standard clear double shields instead of the more expensive heated shield after reading other reports of how well the standard shield worked without any fogging. We have no regrets with the non heated shield. The only time I think the headed shield would be needed is if you're riding in freezing drizzle.

I swapped out the yellow drop down sun shield that comes standard with the helmet with the optional amber color sun shield. Swapping out the sun shield is fairly easy to do. In both bright and sunny conditions and cloudy conditions the amber tint seemed to work better for us than the yellow tint. The amber tint seemed to pick up the definitions of the trail better than the yellow tint. The tint is obviously a personal preference but it's nice to see that CKX does offer some options to fine tune the helmet to your preference. Having the drop down sun shield is a really nice feature as light conditions change during the day and is easy to use.

Another nice feature is the two position visor on the top of the helmet. We both found it quite useful to switch positions between the higher and lower settings depending on the angle of the sun. If you're riding into the sun simply lower the visor to the lower position to block out the sun. For most conditions I think the higher position gives you the best sight lines down the trail.

These helmets are very warm and very quiet. It's nice not having to wear a balaclava. The chin curtains on the bottom of the helmet do an excellent job of sealing out the wind and the cold. The AMS system works as advertised and does a great job of getting the moisture evacuated out the back of the helmet.

There are two vents located on the lower part of the face shield, one above and one below the breath box that you can open or close. I found the best results keeping both open in all conditions. The weight of the helmet is a non factor. They're very comfortable wearing all day without any fatigue. The finish of the helmets is very high quality.

Not having to remove the helmet to eat or drink something is a feature that I really appreciate. Simply raise the shield and you're good to go.

The helmet does come with a fairly nice cloth carrying bag with a draw string closure. I was looking for something that offers a little more protection for traveling. Since we purchased these helmets from Port Yamaha I checked with Kevin at Port Yamaha and he hooked us up with a really nice padded carrying bag from 509 the fits the helmet perfectly: https://ride509.com/products/universal-helmet-gear-bag.

All in all we are both very happy with the new CKX Mission helmets and look forward to getting some more miles on them this season. Like I've previously mentioned it takes a little time to learn all of the features of this helmet and fine tuning the helmet to your face will result in getting the maximum benefits of its design.

Cheers!

MissionHelmets1.jpg

SRXMission1.jpg

So I know this was mainly a review about the CKX Mission but since I purchased the BRP Oxygen helmet and just used it for a week in the Keweenaw figured I’d share my thoughts.

The helmet is top notch quality, first thing I noticed when I put it on outside is just how much more field of view I have. It’s not obvious when in a store or in your house but when both my wife and I put it on outside it became very obvious the field of view is drastically better than any helmet out there.

I like having no breath box and that makes you feel very comfortable and free inside the helmet. The 3 heat levels for the visor/sunshade keeps both lenses fog free.

Rear cord connection is super easy as it magnetically center itself and connects.

Helmet has recessed pockets within the Noise Cancelling ear cups and they do a great job of making things quiet.

This helmet is very expensive but I actually think it’s well worth it after using it a week straight in the Keweenaw.

Good luck with your research guys...

Great write-ups VX1R AND rbell. Got the mid season itch and just ordered a matte black Mission non-electric. Thought about the Oxy but I'm coming from a Titan so I really enjoy and have gotten used to no cord and just love the look of the Mission.

Can't wait to try it out.

Note to Canadian shoppers. I ordered from an online retailer gpbikes.com based out of Whitby. When searching on their site a 10% off pop-up came up if you signed up to their newsletter. Used the coupon code towards the purchase. Just shy of covering the taxes so I'm happy.

Last edited:
The Misson is awesome. Tried the Doo modular 3, Bv2S then the Oxygen. Hands down this tie in the best of all those designs into one.

Rode ( warm and cold temps) with it for a few weeks now and can’t be happier! Is been so good, I don’t need to plug it in.

For those that are interested, they have a battery pack available to plug in if you don’t want to plug the shield into the sled.

Selling a Mod 3 and Oxygen in XL - lol

For those that are interested, they have a battery pack available to plug in if you don’t want to plug the shield into the sled
Can you provide a link to this?

Two thumbs up for me on the Mission.

I thought I'd give a little more detailed review:

PROS
- Very comfortable and quiet. It really showed me just how drafty and loud my Titan was.
- Very stable at speed. My Titan used to pull my head back because of the peak. The Mission allows much better air flow over the head.
- No fogging after two days of riding - non-electric.

CONS
- Nose piece. It works great if the one that comes with the helmet fits you (mine doesn't quite). Everyone has different facial feature sizes. There are 3 different nose pieces made but you only receive one depending on your helmet size. All three should be included to ensure a perfect fit. They aren't cheap at $50+ each to have to buy after the fact.
- Communicators - going to have to carve up my brand new helmet in order to install the ear speakers. No recess provided like the Titan.

Last edited:
After reading this post (and a few other reviews) I pulled the trigger on a CKX MIssion Optic helmet. I would agree with everything mentioned. The one issue I have is that when in very cold weather, I did have a draft coming up my neck and into the helmet. My previous helmet leaked a lot of air and I used a Klim balaclava with it. It's a full face one, however, which will not work with the Mission. Has anyone found one that works well with this helmet? I'm thinking I really only need something that covers my neck or one that has an open face. Any suggestions?
As far as glasses, I did try mine with it on. My glasses only fogged up when at a standstill. If I was riding, the movement seemed to circulate the air enough that the glasses did not fog up. Very impressed by that, as I've never been able to really ride with my glasses and not have fogging issues.

After reading this post (and a few other reviews) I pulled the trigger on a CKX MIssion Optic helmet. I would agree with everything mentioned. The one issue I have is that when in very cold weather, I did have a draft coming up my neck and into the helmet. My previous helmet leaked a lot of air and I used a Klim balaclava with it. It's a full face one, however, which will not work with the Mission. Has anyone found one that works well with this helmet? I'm thinking I really only need something that covers my neck or one that has an open face. Any suggestions?
As far as glasses, I did try mine with it on. My glasses only fogged up when at a standstill. If I was riding, the movement seemed to circulate the air enough that the glasses did not fog up. Very impressed by that, as I've never been able to really ride with my glasses and not have fogging issues.
Great to hear there's another convert!

I use the SkiDoo Ultimate Trail balaclava. It is long enough to tuck in around your neck to prevent drafts and it leaves your face open but can cover your chin on cold days.

The CKX mission is a great helmet. The best I have tried for integrating comms as well (Cardo Packtalk Bold).

Snowaddict I wear the CKX Highland balaclava, which is a full open face balaclava. I really like it, but it does allow that draft on the back of the neck area you speak of. This year I'm wearing a neck gator that I cut from the Klim open face helmet balaclava. It has worked great so far; rode last week in the UP with 3 days at 5* or below and I never felt that draft. CKX does have a nice neck gator as well.

Back