• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Closed Loop opinions

justin1620

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX DX
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
1999 SRX 700
1998 SRX 700
2005 Arctic Cat F7
WEBSITE
www.rustymyers.com
Hey guys, I've read all the posts on closed loop and it seems there are a some people with issues with faulty afr numbers, codes, bad 02 sensors or bad modules etc. There are not a ton of threads on closed loop so I'm still on the fence but definitely interested in looking into buying it. Its not cheap its around $1000 Can, but I think its my next step in this build, just not sure if its worth the $. I currently have an 18 ltx with full tune bundle usually on max 17-20, data log, anti lag, bigger pump, adj regulator, 3" superquiet and other goodies. The module would be an ECU Master from TD, and its my understanding some guys have ECU Master and others AEM. Hoping for an increase in mpg and a more efficient running motor, maybe a bit more hp. Any input or experience with the ECU master is appreciated

Hey guys, I've read all the posts on closed loop and it seems there are a some people with issues with faulty afr numbers, codes, bad 02 sensors or bad modules etc. There are not a ton of threads on closed loop so I'm still on the fence but definitely interested in looking into buying it. Its not cheap its around $1000 Can, but I think its my next step in this build, just not sure if its worth the $. I currently have an 18 ltx with full tune bundle usually on max 17-20, data log, anti lag, bigger pump, adj regulator, 3" superquiet and other goodies. The module would be an ECU Master from TD, and its my understanding some guys have ECU Master and others AEM. Hoping for an increase in mpg and a more efficient running motor, maybe a bit more hp. Any input or experience with the ECU master is appreciated
It's a game changer in my opinion. With advanced tuning you can dial in your fuel for the different throttle positions. One thing people don't realize with the O2 sensor is that if you are just turning on your key without starting your engine and playing on the GAP app you will kill your O2 sensor. I unplug mine everytime I park it in the garage. Haven't had an issue since. My first O2 sensor failed before I even left the garage but I turned my key on a hundred times playing around with the advanced tuning/datalogging etc...

I personally think the closed loop should be mandatory on any sled and especially a tuned sled. I have data logging on my sled as well and as good as the tuners tunes are the data logging indicates the closed loop is taking away and adding fuel to the programs constantly to keep the AFRs where the tuners have specified.
JM.02c

It work’s good you will notice it shine more on warmer days, you will get slightly better fuel mileage but nothing crazy.I ride with the same pack of guys with closed loop and without.they are all AEM if you start sled let it get to operating temperature none had any issues going on 3 seasons. IMO

I have had max spool 17 with closed loop on mine, cold air, 2.5 super quiet, 3 bar and bov. My fathers srx and my rtx got within .2gal of eachother when we filled up after 90 miles. And for rest the season we were close to exactly same gal every fill up. After that I can’t confirm if his stayed stock lol

Also I had the ecu master as aem was on back order. Can’t say as I’ve ever had it fail. But can’t confirm it’s not still going right as i had no other diagnostic programming.

Its a bit on the costly side for what it is and as for gains its a matter of personal opinion if the juice will be worth the squeeze. Would be more attractive if the tuners offered the closed loop flash at no charge with the purchase of an afr module.If you gain any increase in fuel mileage it will be minimal and your return on investment will take an eternity. Ive accumalated about 12,500-13,500 miles on 3 different sleds using the 998 and have used the tuning from both of the tuners that utilize gap, both with and without closed loop. 2 of the sleds I have owned tuning bundles from both vendors and could flash at will depending what I was in the mood for or felt like testing that day.. Both tuners have tunes that are very safe without closed loop at temps well below zero even with a larger 3" muffler in my experience. Benefits of closed loop would be most noticable in warm weather and at the point I dont care. Warm weather has soft snow and warm air translates to hotter intake air, none of these factors are encouraging for max performance. It has plenty of other benefits and Im not meaning to sound like I am discrediting it, but expecting big mileage and performance gains may leave you dissapointed. I never had an issue with the aem module or the sensor. Did not treat the sled any different than I did before. Used plenty of octane boost and no issues with sensors. I used the module on first sled for about 3500 miles and it was transferred to the next winder which was sold at around 3100-3300 miles and unsure how many miles current owner has added but no issues either as far as I know. Seems some people had zero trouble and others had problems. Not sure why.

Dave attributed sensor issues to bad batches from both manufacturers.

That would make sense as I believe both brands of the afr module use the same bosch 17025 sensor.

Seems like some last and some fail early on sane sled. AEM system I have been using now for 3 years, no failure yet on Bosch sensor 17025.

Back