• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Issue Mystery

a8db7fc0f58a1c6c026491b2edb87e1c.jpg
b77c8adc741bf3c653b3d7e5685689b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little wore down. It was new 600 miles ago. Obviously the clutch worked like a cheese shredder.

JMO but with the marks in the center of the belt and the marks on the clutches something got in there that couldn't get out. I don't think the belt caused that.

I agree except it is on each side of the secondary as well which leads me the believe whatever it was went back and forth from primary to secondary.

Did you run out of clay pigeons & use it for skeet shooting practice? Cuz that's what it looks like...

Think about it. When the clutches engage and the belt gets tight, whatever is in there can only bang back and forth between the clutches. In the one belt pic there's a ding in outer edge of secondary. My bet is that's when it finally ejected itself.

Yeah I was thinking the same. There are just a few marks higher up and I think that was on its way out as well.

Right there on secondary. The mark on the edge

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_191144.jpg
    IMG_20160316_191144.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 122
Ahhh it looks like your split collar in the centre of the primary came apart. In your 2nd pic half of it is missing. Sure looks like that anyways. That would explain the damage from the metal bouncing around.

Yap that's what it was, you can see the groove were it's supposed to be. Wonder were it went, maybe flew out the toe hold and fell out, or it flew behind the primary under the motor.

Sucks now you have to replace both clutches.

You're lucky that clutch didn't grenade, had that happen to my 95 vmax with a comet clutch, not pretty and almost loss some toes. Thank God my feet weren't in the foot wells when it let go.

Last edited:
I hope that the guy you towed out will help you out with getting the clutches and your belt replaced.

Here's hoping that he's a stand up guy and will help you out like you helped him out.

I have towed allot of sleds for many miles over the years and NEVER seen anything like that.
I would not know if the towing had anything to do with it.

I suspect the part could have come apart and start hammering on the clutch faces at anytime.

I always figured while towing the torque sensing secondary will just find a new gear ( lower) as we roll along. Granted I get it the LOAD is greater over all.

What do you guys think?

When I have to tow someone out I usually will switch to my spare belt. That way I wont ruin my good belt.

I have towed allot of sleds for many miles over the years and NEVER seen anything like that.
I would not know if the towing had anything to do with it.

I suspect the part could have come apart and start hammering on the clutch faces at anytime.

I always figured while towing the torque sensing secondary will just find a new gear ( lower) as we roll along. Granted I get it the LOAD is greater over all.

What do you guys think?
I rather doubt that towing caused that mechanical failure. With the marks as high up as they are on the primary I would suspect it let go on a wide open run with the primary shifted to top gear. I also amazed that with all that damage it was not heard. Should have made quite a rattle!

Back