• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Rebuild questions

Supa Dexta

Expert
So at the end of last season I had a roller bolt come loose - which allowed the weight to swing out and smash into the sliding sheave - which busted the weight and smashed a hole in the sheave, I managed to limp it home and parked it. Just getting around to dealing with it now - I'll need a new sliding sheave, a new weight, and a new roller.

From what I can see, I have stock 15.6mm rollers, the weight has 8GL 00 stamped in it, and weighing another intact weight has it @ 61.8 grams, consisting of 3 rivets, the end one sits flush and the other two stick out on each side.

How do I determine which rivets to get? and will replacing one roller cause any issue vs the others that have 5k on them?

Sled is an 08 rtx, stretched to 144 x 2", and 8 tooth wahls. It seemed to work fine clutched the way it was, for what I used it for - sea level to 3000' some trails, but more powder and hills. But I never messed with clutching, and am open to order whatever will work best for me.

Attachments

• received_1102439886840336.jpeg
    received_1102439886840336.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Totally agree with hibshman if one broke chances are that other bushings will be shot. Might be cheeper to just buy whole used clutch or at least go over the whole clutch and check everything! As when that kind of damage happens it usually affects the rest of the clutch

I have gone over it. These are the few parts I need. No use buying someone else's used clutch that may be pooched too. Unknown miles, other model sleds clutches 'works on apexs/ nytros/ phasers too' (Are they really identical?, springs, weights etc? - seems odd, because if not, then I need to buy those parts again anyways to set it up like the nytro) Or side winder clutches, which are said to be inferior, but 'good enough for a nytro'.. I've looked into used clutches some when it first happened.

My clutch isn't destroyed, I drove it home an hour.. It just lost a roller, snapped off a weight and struck a small hole in the sheave at the edge, the size of your small finger nail. (I bet I could replace the roller and weight and still run that sheave, I just don't trust it now, missing the small piece, out of balance and would likely come apart eventually)

I found this chart on the rollers, Still need to determine the rivets I would need to match my stock ones.

Attachments

• 05007d7ef7791563944fcb2aaab3f43a_zps63f83c3f.jpg
    05007d7ef7791563944fcb2aaab3f43a_zps63f83c3f.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
If you go to the TY tech pages it has a chart with stock specs on all of the sleds for a ton of years.
The stock rollers/weights/springs/rivets/cams are all listed for each individual model.

I have gone over it. These are the few parts I need. No use buying someone else's used clutch that may be pooched too. Unknown miles, other model sleds clutches 'works on apexs/ nytros/ phasers too' (Are they really identical?, springs, weights etc? - seems odd, because if not, then I need to buy those parts again anyways to set it up like the nytro) Or side winder clutches, which are said to be inferior, but 'good enough for a nytro'.. I've looked into used clutches some when it first happened.

My clutch isn't destroyed, I drove it home an hour.. It just lost a roller, snapped off a weight and struck a small hole in the sheave at the edge, the size of your small finger nail. (I bet I could replace the roller and weight and still run that sheave, I just don't trust it now, missing the small piece, out of balance and would likely come apart eventually)

Send the clutch to us if you don't want to buy another used clutch. We can fix the clutch you have and make it look new again. Thunder Products Clutching has a full repair facility. Plus, we have a custom balance unit to put your clutch back where it needs to be.

We may also have a used sheave to put on your clutch and I have the stock Nytro weights here along with the rivets you need.

Here is the article SnowTech did.

20191011_090319 (2).jpg

Send the clutch to us if you don't want to buy another used clutch. We can fix the clutch you have and make it look new again. Thunder Products Clutching has a full repair facility. Plus, we have a custom balance unit to put your clutch back where it needs to be.

We may also have a used sheave to put on your clutch and I have the stock Nytro weights here along with the rivets you need.

Here is the article SnowTech did.

View attachment 156662
I am over 8,000 miles on my 08' RTX and thinking about having the clutch rebuilt in the Spring. Do you have an estimated cost to rebuild an all stock clutch with no damage just worn with miles? G.B.

Usually the spyder sliders are junk and need replacing after 5-6,000 miles and the sliders from Yamaha are about $90. O-rings about $5-10. To separate the clutch, clean and re-assemble... then balance again. That's usually around 1.5 hours at $70 an hour.

So, $105 + $90 is a pretty good estimate if nothing else is needed. $200-205

Usually the spyder sliders are junk and need replacing after 5-6,000 miles and the sliders from Yamaha are about $90. O-rings about $5-10. To separate the clutch, clean and re-assemble... then balance again. That's usually around 1.5 hours at $70 an hour.

So, $105 + $90 is a pretty good estimate if nothing else is needed. $200-205
Thanks NOS-PRO!

Picked up a used clutch, but it was from a supercharged MTX - so it has dalton DTYA-2 weights @ 78.9 grams, and 16.5mm rollers, although the rollers are pooched. It also has a blue-white-blue spring.

I'll probably buy a new 15.6mm roller to complete my other set, but is there any use to running those weights on a non boosted sled? Stock arms are around 61.5 grams.

Just seeing what I need to order and what I can use from this new clutch, need to put in a parts order anyways.

You won’t have any where near enough power in stock form to use those weights. I’ve got the Hurricane/Hindle kit on mine and have the Dalton quick adjust 54 gram base weights loaded up a little over 60 grams if I remember right.

Back