• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch servicing

Search You Tube for a video on how to adjust belt deflection. You should be able to find what you need to adjust the secondary clutch

It looks like the black knurled component is a belt height adjuster. You should be able to adjust deflection with this. It can also be used to open the secondary for belt removal.

I agree with 74Nitro the clutch operation without the belt looks normal. With those adjustable weights engagement rpm could be bumped up to 4000. Get your deflection figured out and test.

Thank you both for weighing in. I think I'm learning something :cool:. Wish I knew how to adjust secondary
If the bolts are missing, order new ones along with the stock size 1mm washer that goes on. Done.

My original clutch lasted over 10000mi before was slight groove in faces halfway up so I put a like new Apex clutch on. Same setup. I bet it only had 2000mi or less when it went under a very long high load pull wide open. The sliders definitely were in wrong and failed first. Ruined both clutches and barely made it to truck. Thunder fixed me up better than ever. Just do it.

Search You Tube for a video on how to adjust belt deflection. You should be able to find what you need to adjust the secondary clutch
I find a bunch of videos adjusting "standard" secondaries, the ones that come from the manufacturer, but none for this aftermarket Super Torquer. All the videos for OEM secondaries show one locking nut with an allen bolt inside it. Loosen locking nut, then turn the allen - out to make belt tighter, in to make belt looser. Then tighten locking nut.

But this Super Torquer doesn't look At All like standard OEM ones. It actually looks like it has 3 of these locking nut/allen bolts (see "adjusters bolts" pic with the red arrows pointing to what I'm guessing are the adjuster bolts??). And I don't know what the black knurled disc is where the bolt goes to secure secondary to shaft. It just seems to spin in place (I have the clutch on my bench). There's no threading to increase/decrease deflection that I can see. There is a very thin washer, shim?, behind it where the knurled disc sits in the clutch. There's also a small allen bolt in the knurled knob, not sure what IT does. I just loosen it, thinking it would expand the knob and make it sit higher in it's hole where the bolt secures the clutch, but, it did not make a difference as far as I could see.

If anyone knows how these Heel Clicker secondaries work, I'd love to know.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 69
  • adjusters bolts.JPG
    adjusters bolts.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 68
Can you take a pic of the back of the clutch? That’s where the original adjusters would be.

I think this is what you have. From what I have read you install the clutch and torque the bolt. Then loosen the Allen head lock bolt and turn the knurled knob to adjust the deflection.

Attachments

• 433624EA-8913-48D8-A5F4-DD87670469D6.png
    433624EA-8913-48D8-A5F4-DD87670469D6.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 82
I think this is what you have. From what I have read you install the clutch and torque the bolt. Then loosen the Allen head lock bolt and turn the knurled knob to adjust the deflection.
Well, I know that I don't know jack-bleep about these clutches ...but from what I am seeing: turning the knurled knob does nothing, actuates nothing... But, admittedly, that's sitting on the bench. I will have to put it back on sled to see if it has the same results... I'll do that tomorrow. Thank you.

Try this link it explains what you have but not identical. Yes it has to be bolted on the sled to work.

Try this link it explains what you have but not identical. Yes it has to be bolted on the sled to work.
Great video, but, ...it's different on my Super Torquer. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaanh. Mine doesn't function like this one. But again, maybe when I get it back on sled I'll see something that I'm not seeing now.

Well hot diggity snap - I'm figurin' shtuff out!!!!! I guess I loosen/tighten those 3 allen bolts the same exact amount, so that any change(s) are the same across all 3?

It's interesting, in the video - the knob is threaded onto a tube/column - that when turned, it's either lengthening or shortening that threaded column. That, I get. But mine is not threaded onto anything like that - it's basically a fat washer that the mounting bolt goes through. Turning it does nothing; nothing that I can tell. Look at these pics of the bolt and knob pulled out and apart:

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2259.jpg
    IMG_2259.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 63
Weird, I have an email that "stevewithOCD" posted a Reply, but, ...I don't see it here in the forum. It was in response to the focus on this black knurled knob that I have in my setup and the chrome/silver one in the video: Steve said:

stevewithOCD replied to a thread you are watching at TY4stroke: Snowmobile Forum | Yamaha - 4 Stroke.

Clutch servicing

It works the same.
When the bolt is tight, the locking screws unloosen to allow the collar to adjust in & out.
Yours is probably rusted or seized on there.
See the middle cylinder?
The collar pushes up against the Helix pushing the sheaves further apart.
When you loosen the collar on the threaded cylinder it allows the sheaves to get closer together.

This is what I've begun to think/understand that my Super Torquer is adjusted by those 3 allen bolts & locking nuts shown here. That's what I believe Steve was commenting on. (Weird that his post is not visible, or maybe I'm just missing something :). Thanks Steve).

Happy New Year all!!!! Looking forward to putting secondary back on tomorrow and giving it a try to adjust and tighten up the belt deflection.

Attachments

• adjusters bolts.JPG
    adjusters bolts.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 70

Back