• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

clutch tool

WINDER1987

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Hey guys is there a tool for the secondary clutch to twist the springs onto the holes instead of having two grown men sweating and twisting there wrists all to heck trying to get the extremely stiff spring to twist on the helix?
Thanks

You're not doing it right, my 16yr old can do it on his own,

1. Grab the helix and twist clockwise while pushing in with your right hand.

2. At the same time grab the sheeve on the back of the secondary with your palm, so that your thumb is on the belt, twist it clockwise too.

3. Push down on the belt with your thumb so it sits lower in the secondary. Do this 2-3 times if necessary until the belt has enough slack to remove/install. With practice you can do it first time.

There is a tool, i think Ulmer makes one, but i may not be remembering correctly. Much faster and easier to do it without tool IMO.

I believe the OP was asking how to re-install the secondary helix onto the 3 posts/studs vs removing the belt.

I normally do this on the machine, and have an adjustable "V" face style spanner wrench that engages the vacant spring holes on the outside of the helix. This gives you enough leverage to rotate the helix and push in at same time to allow the three studs to line up in the helix sufficient to start a couple of the nuts to keep it there.
spanner.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I'm talking about for taking the springs off for the secondary and readjusting with ease I dare your 16 year old son to align mine Lol apexallday I'll see if I can find one of those tools to see if that helps

apexallday I'll see if I can find one of those tools to see if that helps[/QUOTE]

Most decent machine/tool supply shops carry these, they are not necessarily cheap, but for your sanity and knuckles, I find them worth every penny!
Not sure if you have an Acklands-Grainger in NY, but they have them on their website if you come up empty.
Just need to make sure the hole/pin size are same/close when ordering.
Cheers

I do use the clockwise-push technique to remove the belt, work fine with me, still must take a deep breath first. On the video, it is obvious to me that the guy may have set the spring to the loose side before the show. Now do the 90 degree preload and keep smiling... :)
Also, notice the clink noise as he let go everything once the belt has cleared .... he probably have spare buttons on the shelf.
apexallday have the receipe with his tool to remove the helix cover. I have a similar one.

here's a vid that shows it too

I bought one a few weeks ago. Works WONDERFUL ! I'll need another - I have 2 sleds...duh ? One belongs in each tool kit ! I sent you an email to the paypal email address where I sent the $. I dunno if you normally monitor that address. Thank you !

Back