• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch (Ulmer vs. Schmidt Bros.II)

rbell14

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Looking to purhcase a clutch this year. I've read that you can't go wrong with either based on prior threads. Is there any noticable difference between the two?

Based on the video in the FAQ section it seems the Ulmers is easier to install. SB indicatd you need to drill out a couple of rivets??

Feedback on performance and ease of install would be great.

I have the SB kit on both my sleds. Really easy to install. The rivets you drill the middle of some of them, not sure which one again and you use a punch to punch them out and put his weights on.

Never installed a Ulmer kit but the SB was really easy.

What was the first thing you noticed about the sled after the install? What impressed you the most? I assume it's been durable ever since...

The engagement is lowered so the sled wasn't as jerky. I ride twisties in a trail we maintain that leads up to the groomed trails and the higher factory engagement was kinda dangerous at time.

For the rest, I've noticed that the sled pulls way harder than stock and all the way to the top.

Also gained quite a few MPH with his stealth mod muffler, air pods and his clutch kit.

And the after sale service is one of the best I have seen.

I've dealt with Allen also at Ulmer and he was a huge help to help me setup my sleds where I wanted them.

I personally don't think you could go wrong with either kit. Lots of fellow TY'ers have both setups and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I went with Chris for the clutch as I wanted the lower engagement for the Nytro and the Phazer. Easier to backup, easier to load up on the trailers or sled deck.

I think the main differences are in their methods.

Schmidt uses smaller rollers to lower the engagement, but re-uses the stock arms with his weights.

Ulmer uses different springs and custom arms that the weights bolt into. Should be easier to tweak down the road.

Lots of trail guys like the smaller rollers, but they seem to hinder off-trail performance, IMO this is the main difference between the two, and possibly a deciding factor.

In the end, both are well respected and offer great customer service, so there isn't really a wrong answer.

Never used sb, but Understand customer service is good. I've had ulmers and I like that he asks if you sled is picked, your weight, riding style etc. then he sets it up from there. I like mine. Lots of low end and back shift for the trails. Plus Allen is a great guy to deal with

We have used SB around here and you cannot beat the low engagement. Plus dealing with Chris is top notch. You cannot go wrong with SB.

I installed a Bender clutch kit last year. It's a heel clicker kit, that also had spring and helix replacement.

Bought it off a guy who s lighter then me and worked real well him. I never changed the weighs setup and I m not noticing much differnence besides higher engament and top end strong shift.

I would like lower the engagment and gain top end.

The kit seems very simillar to Ulmer from what I can see. Would anyone know what weights I should have and spring, I m about 240Ibs on the sled.
Thanks

What made me decide between the two is I was able to get a flatland and Mountain set-up from Schmidt Bros and not from Ulmer. So if you are ever planning to head west go with SBR. Other then that, like you mentioned both guys know what they are doing and have great customer service.

I had Ulmers stage 2 kit on my 08 RTX first and I liked it a lot. The weights in the kit are soft and they wore and peened out with use. The price of replacements was pretty steep I thought. I replaced it with the SB stage 2 kit for not a lot more. Both kits do a good job lowering the engagement rpm. The SB kit is more aggressive on the pull after engagement, Ulmers had a tad more top end speed. My fuel economy was 14-15 mpg with the Ulmer kit, It's 12-13 mpg with the SB kit. Customer service was good from both outfits.

Back