• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCHING & TRACK SPEED

Jabber

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder mtn 162
I have done a few mods to my sled and it has really started to come alive. The one thing that it seems to lack now is track speed on steep and deep hill climbs. I am running the 05 clutching, my rpm hunts a little between 99-10200 on a lake in 2' of powder.

Was out with my brothers on the weekend, they run a 98 700 rmk and an 07 800 rev. When we switch machines to compare we all notice that the track speed on the rx seems to be down in comparison to theirs. I am wondering if maybe a helix change is in order or.....?

machine specs. 04 rx1 mnt, 05 clutching, stock 21/40gears,single exhaust, 45 degree helix, battery relocate to rear of sled, 162x15 track

what kind of track speed are you getting?? My vector is only pulling 40 max and that is a good day at 1000' at 3500' I am only getting 35

My mtn max never saw more than mid 40s My buddies 600 rev will pull close to 50 I am still playing with mine too

I am pulling about 40mph at 6000 feet. The yami dealer here is telling me to change my helix to a 47 degree. Anybody got any suggestions?

Typically, any helix over about 44-45 you give up top end track speed and gain upshift (wheelie transfer feeling). You should order up the shockwave multi angle helix.....then you could run about 48 on the low end and you could drop the top end to 42-44 and get maximum top end track speed. Nice thing about the shockwave is you can adjust it in about 30 seconds and feel the difference.

Rt

Yup, the Shock Wave is awesome. I was turning close to 11,000 RPm at the parking lot yesterday. I turned the Shockwave out and dropped the RPM to 10,500. Then as I climbed in elevation I was losing RPM so I turned the ring in to keep my RPMs at 10,500.
The dumb thing is I really didn't look at my RPMs while climbing.

Last year I was losing a bunch of RPM while climbing (about 9,500) so I went to a 42 tooth lower gear and kept the stock upper gear (21). Honestly, I noticed a loss of about 5 mph on top end but haven't really got to see if made a huge difference while climbing.

I've been told two things perhaps worth passing on.

If you are losing RPMs while climbing you either have too much weight in the heel of your clutch weights and/or your gearing is too high. I have heard that roughly 2.30 gear ratio is optimum for climbing with a naturally aspirated RX-1M.

Frosty

I'm not lossing rpm when climbing, it pretty much stays right around 10,100. Looked at the shine on my primary and deceided that there is too much force on the secondary. Went out and picked up a silver secondary spring and set it to 70 degrees. Gonna try that out tomorrow. I figure that I may have to go to 90 Degrees

I use a silver secondary spring as well. I didn't like 70 degrees nearly as much as 80 degrees. The backshift seemed considerably better at 80 degrees. In fact I'm at 90 degrees now but I'll probably end up back at 80 degrees.

Frosty

Frosty, are you using the 05 primary clutch setup? Ho w do you find the deep powder, does it feel like your track is spinning with speed or just tractoring along?

Well, just got back from riding and just love the silver secondary sping. More track speed, can climb higher, and the belt does not get as hot as it use too.

am Using silver secondary spring too, but with 44-40 cam. With the 45, i was loosing top speed. (track speed too)

Jabber, I don't use the 05 setup but I do see why it should work well. Doesn't that set up use 8DN-10 weights? I have a set of 8DN-00 weights and they make the sled so dang fun it's unreal but they would only pull 86 mph on top end so I went to the heavy hitters.

I'm glad you like the silver spring too. Did you use the 70 degrees? Try 80, I think you'll like it just a little more than 70 degrees. 90 degrees gives you a killer backshift but it perhaps holds back the top end a bit?

best of luck - I'm just down the road if you need help.

Frosty

Frosty, I am using 8BU-10 weights. Back shift at 70 was ok but I will try it at 80. What gearing are you using?

I have on 05 RXMtn with 21/40 gearing, how would dropping to 19/40 or going with 21/42 make a differnce to the sled? Same riding as you Frosty... trails, boondocking and some hillclimbing
Jabber... what are you running for weights at 6000'? I'm at 15-2000' now but am heading to the Mtns in Feb, just wondering what I should set mine up with.

Back