• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cobra track speed loss

dmaxx

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX, 2012 Apex XTX, 2010 Vector LTX, 2000 AC Z-370..fast
Read some posts on Cobra tracks and possibility of top end speed loss. Several different answers with little loss or several mph. Any recent experience that anyone can provide? I don't want to lose more than 1-2 mph if I go this route. This would be a 136 track with studs.

I wouldn't imagine it would be more than that, it's basically a 1.25 track but the little nubs on it make it slightly longer. but they just wear down anyway. the lug pattern is great. I had one on my sled before i stretched it. didn't notice a difference in top speed. hooked up great compared to the rip saw.

Read some posts on Cobra tracks and possibility of top end speed loss. Several different answers with little loss or several mph. Any recent experience that anyone can provide? I don't want to lose more than 1-2 mph if I go this route. This would be a 136 track with studs.

I added my Cobra at the same time as Extrovert drivers. Both are known to lower top speed. I lost 6-8 MPH with that change but it was worth it IMO. No more ratcheting and that Cobra provided way more traction than the stock Ripsaw.

I got nothing good to say about cobra tracks.....

I added my Cobra at the same time as Extrovert drivers. Both are known to lower top speed. I lost 6-8 MPH with that change but it was worth it IMO. No more ratcheting and that Cobra provided way more traction than the stock Ripsaw.
I don't have any problem with traction or ratcheting with the ripsaw and would not be worth losing that much top end speed. More than likely would pass on the Cobra from what I am hearing.

Last edited:
Cobra 1.352 tracks are awesome.. i have had one on a Turbo Vector and now on my 06 apex...22 tooth top gear.. both 136 both studded with 214 studs .. Got a ripsaw sitting in the corner, would not put it back on another sled..they are worthless.. Never really noticed a difference on the big end. Huge improvement in loose snow .. Guess i would rather beat everyone to 100 mph .. if you want to inch passed in a 5000 ft run you can have it.. also running extrovert drivers. and from my understanding just the opposite with extrovert drivers.. looser track = less drag= more mph. also the have half the rotating mass on your drive shaft 2 drivers vs 4

Yeah pretty common to cost a few MPH up top. I lost about the same. I went 151x13.5 wide predator 1.25 (now called carve) and holy cow that is a fast track. Picked up like 8-10mph over he cobra on my supercharged 240-250hp combo.

I threw the ripsaw in the garbage junk tracks and put on a cobra 1.325, this is the best track i ever owned gained speed in every possible snow conditions and gained 5-10 mph on top end highly recomend

I got nothing good to say about cobra tracks.....
What don't you like about the cobra track , its the best track i ever ran on a sled being 37 lbs and fully clipped , the ripsaw was the worst track ever with every third window closed

What don't you like about the cobra track , its the best track i ever ran on a sled being 37 lbs and fully clipped , the ripsaw was the worst track ever with every third window closed
Track doesn't work for me on the trails, less than 1000 miles and the lugs were torn and had pulled out studs. My current Ripsaw has 7100 miles with no torn lugs or any pull outs. I'm putting a new Ripsaw in this summer.

Track doesn't work for me on the trails, less than 1000 miles and the lugs were torn and had pulled out studs. My current Ripsaw has 7100 miles with no torn lugs or any pull outs. I'm putting a new Ripsaw in this summer.
From the camso site it states that the Cobra is a softer durometer. Are these lugs bending to the extreme that there is that much speed loss? I personally don't understand how a track of less rotating mass (by 4-7 Lbs of studs) can be slower on top.
And is this a common problem or an anomaly that the track would be all banged up after just 1000 miles?

From the camso site it states that the Cobra is a softer durometer. Are these lugs bending to the extreme that there is that much speed loss? I personally don't understand how a track of less rotating mass (by 4-7 Lbs of studs) can be slower on top.
And is this a common problem or an anomaly that the track would be all banged up after just 1000 miles?
Read the last thing said less rotating mass. the cobra track doesn't slow your sled down it increases your speed by 5-10 mph , i cant understand why there are claims of slower top speed ,are we talking about the same track 121" x 1.38" fully clipped at 37 lbs this track is outstanding and hooks up in every condition i would highly recommend it as far as ripsaw goes that was the worst track ever put on yamaha

Read the last thing said less rotating mass. the cobra track doesn't slow your sled down it increases your speed by 5-10 mph , i cant understand why there are claims of slower top speed ,are we talking about the same track 121" x 1.38" fully clipped at 37 lbs this track is outstanding and hooks up in every condition i would highly recommend it as far as ripsaw goes that was the worst track ever put on yamaha
Tube, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to understand why so many people are claiming speed loss with the cobra. It is well documented here, just do a quick search.
I was just trying to get a logical explanation of how this track fails to deliver top speed with less overall rotating mass. It must be due to it's durometer and or lug pattern if it is true.
And if the cobra holds up well or shows signs of early wear.

Tube, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to understand why so many people are claiming speed loss with the cobra. It is well documented here, just do a quick search.
I was just trying to get a logical explanation of how this track fails to deliver top speed with less overall rotating mass. It must be due to it's durometer and or lug pattern if it is true.
And if the cobra holds up well or shows signs of early wear.
Fatchance i totally agree with you , maybee its the type and amount of studs there using adding more weight will definatley slow you down all i can say is i have 2000 miles on mine so far with absolutly no signs of wear or torn lugs for $500 you can't beat it, off topic what do you think of the talon tracks they seem comparable to the cobra but lighter, thinking of putting one on my old poo for $399

Back