• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code 81

1975FA

Expert
I keep getting a code 81 on my 08 nytro. The book says open or shorted hand warmer circut. My hand and thumb warmers work fine. If I shut the sled off for a minute the code goes away and maynot be back all day. I have a yamaheater on it and the newer handlebars with heated hooks. I have checked the conections and called it the right names. Has anybody run into this before?

you probably have a loose connector or a wire that is breaking or broken so when you drive it separates enough to throw a code then it clears when you turn it off

this is my guess

dubweiser said:
you probably have a loose connector or a wire that is breaking or broken so when you drive it separates enough to throw a code then it clears when you turn it off

this is my guess

That was my guess too but I have kind wiggled and pulled all the conectors and can't make it set the code. The yamaheater indicator glows red when the code is set, thengoes back to green when it resets, Gotta keep lookin.

Have you tried it without the yamaheaters hooked up? Not sure how they hook up or how easy it is to unhook but it almost sounds like something in there when you say it's changing when the problem occurs. You could measure the resistance of the elements themselves as well. Just going off memory but it seems to me they're around 6.4 ohms.

Ryan

dubweiser said:

this is my guess

I would bet on this!
Will send you a PM, give me a call when you get a chance, will get you taken care of!

For everyone, would bet on a loose connection in the Yellow, Orange, or Black wires.
The loose connection is common to both grips or it will not throw a code.

Try holding the connector in one hand and tug lightly on the individual wires with the other.
Watch closely as you release the wire, if it shrinks back into the connector, you have the loose connection.
The problem is, the wire may be broken inside the insulation, but the insulation is still intact hiding the wire.
By pulling on it & watching closely as you release it, you can find it.
(The wire will NOT stretch, but the insulation will, so if it retracts back in as the insulation contracts, you know you found it.)

Rock :-o

I had this not 3 weeks ago. Turned out to be a loose connection on my battery cables! An easy fix!

Back