• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Command Start

Voda2000

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer GT 136"
Hello,

I'm new here and I just bought a 2007 Phazer GT.

I've been wondering if anyone has looked at installing a command start on it.

Also would that void the warranty?

Thanks,

Andrew

I was looking at puttin a command start on also. As far as I know it doesn't do anything to the warranty, and the local installation place said it wouldn't be a problem to to. Just haven't got around to doing it yet.

I think this is a big waste of money myself. Its not like your going to be sitting in a nice warm cab when you go out to ride. I will use the warm up time to check other things out like knock some ice off sweep snow off and the like. On a no start it would also add complications to figure out what is wrong. This is just my opinion I just dont see the benefits for the costs.

I was looking at the command start they use on motorcycles. There are several on eBay that are relatively inexpensive.

Andrew

Im not saying its practical, but it would be cool.

Especially when everyones getting suited up to go start their machines at the cabin, and you just hit a button :)

-Steve

Thats exactly it BV1, it has nothing to do with practicality at all, but the joy I'd get out of watching my 2stroke buddies go outside and pull the rope and then wait for it to warm up would be priceless. It's not smart, and probably is a waste of money, buts it is fun. IMO

Ya Steve that is exactly what I was thinking. Plus there is a lot of times where I'm over at a buddies house at night and only have a jacket and helmet (no snowmobile pants on) and I don’t want to have to wait in his yard for it to warm up freezing my butt off. It would be a nicer to be able to start it and then go out in a few minutes when it’s ready to go.

Andrew

That temperature sensor is a cool feature, it may be a bit hard on the starter but most command starts already have that built in if you enable it.

Another thing to consider is the theft possibility.

Its not like you shift it into gear like a car, and wiring the kill switch to the brake doesnt work that well because there is no gauruntee that they will use the brake if they try and steal it. It may require a special RPM sensor, or weight sensor or something. If your going to do it, do it right, otherwise some thief will enjoy the fact you already started your sled....

How do the motorcycle command starts work?

-Steve

Its totally doable, just be sure to do it right. I would get something a bit better then the $35 version there, make sure you have overcrank protection etc.

dema said:
and when youre friends put a rubberband around the trothle?

I would wire the kill switch to the throttle. I am sure the Yamaha has an idle sense circuit or an TPS of some kind. Anything above 0 throttle should kill it. Solves the theft and "rubberband" issue, besides I dont think my "friends" would do that, but still a possibility, if someone knew you had command start and hated you.

-Steve

actually the phazer has a throttle sensor... if you hold it wide open and turn the key it won't start... I forget what its called. but its in the manual

Back