• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

coolant drip please help

chadderbox

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 RX 1 LE (Silver)
hello, i have a coolant drip under right foot, i think right where the carrier wheel bolts to tunnel. my question... can i put the "good" bars leaks in because i really don't want to remove exchanger i'm cursed with no garage at the moment and it's 2 degrees out!

Hi all i can tell you is yes i did,but only 1/2 of a small battle.I open the bottle and put it in a old alum bowl and crushed the it to mush.Did this last year for the same thing and my old Vmax.
P.S this is only a band aid.

Larry

correct, n thank you for the reply. don't like to "cob" stuff i was however talking about the liquid bars leak?

Just think about where else it is going to hang up. I've never used it. My trusted local Napa sells it, but didn't recommend it

Bars Leaks has been around forever and I have never read or heard a bad thing about it. I had a 1984 Quad that I had to drain the cooling system on. The service manual stated that Bars Leaks should be added whenever replacing the coolant. I suspect it may be put in many vehicles at the factory. I would find the source of the leak and if its not on a welded seam I would use it. The season is short and I would fix it more permanently in the summer.

Just had mine welded over the summer and they are very hard to fix- so thin that it kept coming back with pin holes. I have read other posts where people have had good success with JB Weld but if I had to do it again I would find a good used heat exchanger or buy a new one. It is probably leaking due to the steel mounting plate rubbing on the exchanger, common issue.

l.f. missile , very valid points and sounds like were on the same page thank you, yammie rx1 also very valid points , I do plan on replacing and fabbing brackets for the weak points when i put a m7 cat skid under her. (next year i'm afraid) im running zerex G-02 in it (cant see it in the snow )so i'll just try the liquid bars leaks and carry a pepsi bottle full in my jacket... i'll post if/how well it works TY, moontree ty for replying, but i'm talking about the liquid b.l. not the powder

This is what my leak looked like- you can see the outline of the mounting bracket where it has galled the heat exchanger. I removed some steel and shimmed in this area when I put it back together.

Leak-zoom.JPG

Attachments

• Leak.JPG
    Leak.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 62
ty. yammie , now i'm fairly confident that's my leak (haven't had it apart yet) , looks like piss poor engineering

Back