• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

COPPER HARBOR MI

SIKEWARD

Expert
I am interested in making a ride from boulder junction wi to copper harbor mi this year. I'm hoping someone here can give me a little advice. I can get myself to Gogebic but after that I am in the dark. With our Nytros light weight fuel capacity is this something I am going to have to worry about as I head north? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Heading to copper harbor from boulder junction is a nice ride.

Take 13 out of the north end of the lake ( The Hoop ) up through Twin Lakes. From 13 take 3 all the way up through Houghton. You will need 134 from 3 to head into Copper Harbor. Unless the trails have changed that is.
Plenty of gas stops along the way, but dont pass them by. lol I did the trip on a an Attak so you can do it on an Nytro I'm sure.

Some of the trails gets the crap beat out of them close to the harbor. Once you get away from there, you'll be fine. 134 gets bad so be prepared to go slow. The trail has many twists and turns so you can't ride the mogul tips at 70mph. The last time I was up there it was brutal. I can't remember if there is another way in/out or not. Matter-of-fact, when I finally got the end of it there was a whole bunch of guys resting at the junction. lmao. Jackets off and layed out on their sleds. Some with busted suspensions. lol It was a choir. Other than that, it's a nice ride getting there. I would be interested in another copper harbor trip to now that you have me thinking about it. lol

Let me see now, time wise. Well, Nos Pro and I made it from Copper harbor to the twin lakes/Greenland area in about 2 hours. Then its another couple hours to the wisconsin border, then another hour and a half or so to Boulder junction, this all can change of course with trail conditions. I would estimate the time 1 way would be around 6 hours maybe?

awesome thanks for the information. I kinda guessed it would be a 6 hour or so ride. I planned on getting a room for the night in CH. Somebody told me there are two hotels in the town and the nice one is the one in the center of town. Any ideas what the name of it is?

Your attack should have way more fuel range then my nytro. My nytro only holds 7 gallons of gas and can only make it about 100 miles on a tank. Thats why I was inquiring about fill ups.

Last year I rode to Porcupine Mountain and the town up there (silver city) has just about all but closed. They used to have a box factory that was their major employer. That factory closed and there is just about nothing left in the town. Even their gas station shut down. It's kind of amazing to see one business make such a change.

I do not remember any names as I didn't stay in CH. It's pretty small so you should be able to find it easily enough. Probably wouldn't much matter, it's only for a nite anyway? Make sure you stop at the cliffs up there, if the day is clear it's an awesome view!

I dont get very good gas mileage with my attak. I'm lucky to see 100 miles. I'm fairly heavy with my thumb at times. I like to tap the throttle over hill tops and such. Now that she's boosted, it's less. Its why I have a gas can carrier on the back. lol

I used to make trips to Silver City all the time from Presque Isle, WI. Trail 11 to 2, then on up through Bersener and then on up to Silver City. I remember that main trail into S.C. would be like 7 miles of crap. Felt like 70 miles afterward sometimes. lol Lake in the clouds there sure was a nice little view though. There wasn't much there a few years ago, to bad it's all but shut down. Guess that place is not an option for me anymore if there's no fuel. I'd be in trouble. lol

You can find every place that supports snowmobilers on Johndee.com He has a northwoods directory and it gives you all the info you need for lodging. Here is a link to the page, click on the area your looking to go! Hope this helps. I use this all the time to book trips, I find that if the place is not on Johndee's website then I normally dont stay there.

http://www.johndee.com/Northwoods/north ... ectory.htm

We stayed at rockford, MI and made to CH in time for lunch and back with a few stops and it was easy one day trip. We took the route 1CS stated. Its a nice trip but they trails are faster then you think, you can really haul the mail in spots and I'm not sure if I would stay in CH or come back down to Houghton/Hancock.

We are considering a TY bagger trip for this season. Preliminary plans are to leave from Mercer, spend first night in houghton. ride the next day in the Keewenau, Copper Harbor Lac la Belle, Gay and wherever else we plan to travel too. Spend the second night in the same hotel in Houghton and then back to mercer on the 3rd night. It's not a killer mileage trip but it should be a good trip for all to enjoy.

I'm not familar with the area at all. I was planning on just staying to copper harbor. is houghton a better place to stay the night?

As far as a bagger trip is concerned. I planned on mailing a small flat rate box to myself at the hotel with basic supplies and a change a clothes few days before the trip. Then just maling it back to myself when we left.

SIKEWARD said:
I'm not familar with the area at all. I was planning on just staying to copper harbor. is houghton a better place to stay the night?

As far as a bagger trip is concerned. I planned on mailing a small flat rate box to myself at the hotel with basic supplies and a change a clothes few days before the trip. Then just maling it back to myself when we left.
I have stayed in Copper harbor before and there are 2 places to stay up there. niether one is that nice. If you stay in houghton there is a nice place right on the river with a hot tub and a lounge right there. You can spend all day touring the Keewenau and rarely hit the same trail. That in itself is 150-200 mile day. really for that trip all you need is some fresh undies and socks along with a swimsuit, if you plan on using the pool or hot tub. just throw a back pack on or strap it to your sled and you should be good. 140 miles from Mercer to houghton depending on the route you take it could be longer.
\ We are shooting for end of Feb. for this ride, We'll keep you posted when we finalize plans in case you are interested.

We stayed at both the Mariner North and Keweenaw Mountain Lodge last year - great price on a cabin at Keweenaw Mtn Lodge! Eat breakfast at the Tammarack, best breakfast in the UP for us last year! Bear Belly Bob's in Lac La Belle was a great stop, and don't forget the GAY BAR!!!!!
DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

We did a saddlebag trip last year and stayed at The Mariner North Resort, in Copper Harbor, we stayed in the Motel section and though it had very nice large rooms and the Restarunt and bar had very good food. I would stay there again for sure.

awesome pictures. the cabin idea looks pretty cool too. there will be 5 of us going that should divide out pretty cheap on a cabin or hotel room.

I have tons of pictures, the cabin at Keweenaw Mtn Lodge was a great deal, right around $100 (maybe less) - and it had 3 bedrooms! I beleive they offer bigger cabins as well.

Can't go wrong with the Keeweenaw- they usually have snow, even when the rest of the UP is hurtin'. We do about two trips a year up there. Typically stay in Houghton. You can access the trail system from any of the major hotels, but the one right on the river is convenient. It's a great base for checking out the areas north (CH) as well as south- (tons of trails and great places to stop- BBB's is a favorite- if you're tall, watch your step into the men's room.. ;):D) As for CH- the Mariner North is really nice- don't forget to save time for a massage from Johanna... ;)! The best $20 you'll ever spend after a long day on the trail- or a great way to finish off lunch before you head back towards Houghton. As others have said- the Keeweenaw is definitely worth the trip-

Back