• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

critique my suspension set up - RS Venture

mooseflyer

Expert
Hi gents,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2006 RS Venture, which I purchased with about 1200 miles on her last winter. I have a grand total of 3 days riding time so far, and have been loving it. I've already experienced the "tippy nature" of the machine as reported by other Venture owners, so after much use of the search feature on this forum I made some suspension adjustments at the end of last season (but haven't ridden on them yet).

As this machine is kept at the family cabin about 2000 miles away, I don't get much chance to work on it. As such, I'd like to get your opinion on the suspension tweaks I've already done so that it's ready to go when the snow flies this year. It's somewhat of a production to travel for our winter visit, and it's a short vacation, so I want to hit the ground (or snow) running - not spend our few days of vacation wrenching on the snowmobile trying to make it ride better. I'll be visiting one more time in October before snowfall, and can make any changes to the snowmobile then - after that, it has to be ready to go for our winter visit in January. Anyway, here's what I did at the end of last season:

1. front (ski) suspension - set preload "clickers" all the way to soft (min preload).

2. limiter straps - set the bolt through the last (of only 2) holes, making the strap as short as possible.

3. Front skid shock - set preload "clicker" all the way to soft (min preload).

4. White "2 up" block - set to the 2-up position.

5. Black suspension block - set to medium

6. Transfer rods - adjusted so all 3 lines are showing (min transfer).

I've also installed a set of Simmons Gen II skis, but haven't had a chance to ride on them yet. For reference, I ride 2-up with my wife, for a combined weight of about 280 lbs. We ride mostly old logging roads, RR tracks, woods, lakes, and other areas of often unbroken trail (hence the Gen IIs).

I'll reiterate that I have almost zero expereience with this machine so far, and only made the adjustments listed above based on recommendations from others on this forum. I realize I need to do some riding to see what works "for me" specifically. I just want to make sure I didn't mis-interpret some of the information that my search turned up. If you have any input on my above modifications so that I can be ready to go for winter vacation, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

All in all your OK. I would try the limiter straps in the stock position rather than tight. Perhaps the front track shock to a harder setting. the only way to know is to ride it. Snow conditions make a huge difference. Basically your there.

Thanks for the reply Studdog. I figure if I get a few suggestions here, then after my first ride on my current setup I can make a couple of quick tweaks as suggested here and see which way I like it better.

I don't mind spending an hour or so tweaking it - I just don't want to blow an entire vacation day trying to figure out how to make it ride decently (hence the purpose of this post). Thanks again SD, and further input is also welcomed!

Let me know how your set up works for you. I have a 11 RS Venture and it is tippy as well and it already has the wide the skis on it.

Here's what I did, with my experience snowmobiling, and what friends of mine duplicated with great success.
You'll want weight on your skies so you can turn, so adjust your front springs to at least half tension or harder. Adjust front spring in rear suspension to as soft as you can go, adding weight to the skies. Leave the limiter straps alone, in their stock position. Unless you plan on lugging around a 200lb passenger all the time, leave the rear suspension as soft as it will go.
This set up is for hard groomed perfectly smooth Ontario trails. Works perfect for us, and if I need to carry a passenger, I'll try the passenger with the softest setting first, and adjust if necessary.

P.S. I'm one of a few Yamaha owners who has had an engine failure. Due to it's failing, and the lack of concern from Yamaha, I'll probably get a Ski-Doo E-Tech next. Better mileage, better starting, lighter, and probably warmer. This is the coldest sled I've ever owned!!!

We must have different sleds this sled has very good wind protection very good hand warmers and very good gas mileage. The tippyness is just adjustments I will have to make until I get it dialed in.

I have an '07 RS Venture. The coldest sled I've ever owned. I have the hugh windshield on it also. Hand warmers work o.k. Better mileage than old 2-strokes, but the new E-Tech 2-strokes blow the Yamaha away.
On really cold days I have to wear big mitts with the hand warmers on high to keep my hands from freezing, half the time I have to duck behind the windshield to keep my face from freezing, and I have to duct tape all the vent holes in the hood shut so my feet don't freeze.

Sled Dog is a Yamaha Only type of person, and will never admit to better products out there. Maybe you only ride when it's above -10Celcius. It took 2 years of many returns to Yamaha before they finally figured out that my engine was junk, and they had to rebuild it.

Until Yamaha starts to build better quality, warmer sleds, this is my last one. My 2001 700 Venture is more trust worthy, and a heck of a lot warmer also.

I think Roger needs to buy quality riding gear if he thinks the RS Venture is a cold sled to ride. The three banger engine is rock solid and it does have better gas mileage than my four bangers. I also dumped the huge windshield for the medium and its still a warm sled to ride. You need better gear your gonna be cold on any sled if you think this sled is cold. FYI I own a Polaris also and it is colder to ride than my RS Venture by far. LOL

PS I live in Eastern Saskatchewan where its always cold we ride in -25C all the time so trust me I know what cold is. LaLaLa

Sled Dog
I have a Yamaha Suit, mitts, gloves, and boots. Now what excuse do you have to defend Yamaha? Every sled I had up these Yamaha's have been Polaris. I was never cold on a Polaris!!

I guess you must buy lots of Yamaha parts as you have a link to parts right on every post you have submitted to.

Roger said:
Sled Dog
I have a Yamaha Suit, mitts, gloves, and boots. Now what excuse do you have to defend Yamaha? Every sled I had up these Yamaha's have been Polaris. I was never cold on a Polaris!!

I guess you must buy lots of Yamaha parts as you have a link to parts right on every post you have submitted to.

LMAO The link is simply for convenience for everyone here. Then you must have poor circulation my friend both my RX's and the RS are very warm to ride. I have yamaha leather bibs and nylon jacket. The helmet and everything is good stuff but not yamaha and I am never cold riding these sleds even in -30C temps.

My 06 venture is the warmest sled I have ever rode. It is also the most dependable 12000 no break downs.I have changed bearings clutch wheels bushings

Thanks again gents. One more question though - what exactly does the limiter strap actually do? I mean what is it's purpose? Yes, I see that it keeps the front of the suspension from "dropping down", but why? To put more weight on the skis? If that's the case, it would seem that you could accomplish the same thing by adjusting the front shock on the track suspension to a softer setting.

As long as I'm asking questions, the purpose of the "transfer rods" escapes me too.....

Sled Dog said:
Roger said:
Sled Dog

LMAO The link is simply for convenience for everyone here. Then you must have poor circulation my friend both my RX's and the RS are very warm to ride. I have yamaha leather bibs and nylon jacket. The helmet and everything is good stuff but not yamaha and I am never cold riding these sleds even in -30C temps.

2XLMAO. -30c is cold, -42c is colder. Your Sask. temperatures don't have humidity in them. I work with someone from Sask., and he admits that -20C in Ontario, is like -35C in Sask. If you want to freeze on your Yamaha, come to Ontario.

Back