• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dead horse topic.......Cat challenger 2.25 vs Mav????????

fiddlersgreen

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Viper xtx le
I know this track topic is beaten to death but here we go again.
I can get a really good deal on a new cat challenger 2.25.
Also, I can get a new challenger extreme 2.5 for a descent price...not as good as the cat challenger but not too bad.
I'm afraid the 2.5 will be too deep for my riding area. 50/50 trail and backcountry. I definatly will have to cut down the Ce if I go with it.

Questions:

Is the cat challenger better then the Mav?

Does the CE 2.5 have the square edge lugs or are they like the cat challenger with the notched edges?

Are there any mods do be done with the track or sled to install either of these tracks.

Which of them are more durable?

Any thoughts on the best track for the 50/50 riding area.

Thanks
Rg

I have been on the 2.25 cat take off for a couple years now. It bolted right up and have had no issues with it so far. It does bite better than the mav. and doesn't fold over as bad. For the price I got mine for I couldn't pass it up and I have yet to think about changing it.

I guess anything should bite better then the Mav. Seems like I just fishtail and spin out all the time.
Same here with the price. Can get it for a real good price but the duty and shipping to Canada bumps it up a bit. It's still cheaper then any track I can get here.

Fiddler

Maybe I misunderstand, but are we talking the older cat challenger or the newer cat powerclaw?

If it helps, I am running the powerclaw in NB, and it works really well for trail and off (as well as could be expected with a 2.25 lug!). It's not a trail track but it does grip quite well on groomed trails and off trail its is about twice the track of the POS Mav.

OTM

I run the challenger with no problems and hooks up well. Save the dough by the challenger. Now if you were more powder and mountains I would say the ce. I got to see the performance difference in deep snow the ce vs challenger on apexs both 15 wide and ce out performed.

challenger

i changed from mav to powerclaw ripped the powerclaw and then whent with the challenger take off as stated they come at a great price but my thoughts are the challenger is better than the mav but not as good as the powerclaw the pc just hooked up better in all conditions. the chalenger is good but still feel it slipping around back there. just my 2 cents. sg :sled1:

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will go with the challenger. Should be better then the Mav and a whole lot cheaper then the other options.

I just bought a Powerclaw 153 to replace the Mav track that is on there now. The paddles are bent over real bad and doesn't hook up at all. I even flipped the track around to counteract the bend. I can't wait for the Powerclaw to arrive!

Was thinking on the PC but I can't find one remotely close to the price of the challenger.
I'm not into too much steep and deep, mostly boondocking and trail riding.
Hope the challenger is ok for it.

Back