• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

***DELETE***

Boy21

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Phazer MTX
11,500 miles
My 08phazer mtx battery gets weak when the radiator fan has been running, along with the hand/thumb warmers.
How much power is the fan using?
How much power does the hand/thumb warmer use?

Battery is new.

Charging system seems good and I replaced the stator a year ago when it went bad. Checks out at 14v 5000rpm.

The battery has drained sometimes to the point where it wont have enough cranking power to restart the engine after shutting it off.

I did a load test. At high idle(2000+rpm) there was 13.5v at the battery leads. Then when the fan came on while the engine was still running the voltage dropped to around 12.7v.

What's your voltage after you machine sits for awhile. Before you even turn the key?
Could be the grounding block not giving a good clean ground.
I noticed you have a sled start, dealing with remote starts in the past i've tested sometimes they draw power, kind of like they don't go into sleep mode.
Are you able to test draw with a volt meter? Anything over .05v on a car/truck is not good. I'm sure a small sled battery it would be worse.
Be warned, i've read on here NOT to disconnect battery while sled is running as the ECU is sensitive to that.
This still all leads me back to believe you should check that ground block. OR and i've experience this 1st hand with a new battery, batteries a bad one.
Hope this helps abit, I was up when you posted this but was hoping for the pro's to chime in for ya.

Battery is in good shape. brand new. It seems like the fan is drawing too much power. Everything runs good even with hand and thumb warmers set at high as long as the fan doesnt come on...once that fan starts blowing almost consistently (this is in icy conditions and warm weather), and i stop to cool off and restart the engine--i notice that the battery is weakened. Then when i start going again (same conditions and fan and warmers on), and if i stop again the battery might be too weak by then to get it started again.

Now this problem is bringing me back to the same thing before i replaced my battery and stator. A couple of years ago and last year also(multiple times), i was riding in the same icy trails with hand warmers on and the radiator fan blowing when i got an error code for low voltage. I was forced to stop when the overheat indicator came on, so i cooled off the sled and when i turned the key to start again the battery was nearly dead. After that i found and replaced a burnt stator.
I hope its not the stator again.

it seems like the fan is taking too much power or the stator is just not producing enough to keep up.

I did burn up a yellow grounding block between the oil tank and radiator 2 years ago, cleaned up the wires and put it back together. woked fine.

But i am wanting to replace that part but i cant find a part number on this.
Any suggestions on how i can order the "updated groundin block" or "sub harness?"

According to the TSB - the part number for the ground wire sub harness is PZ50 SUB-HARNESS-KIT.

I'll be there isn't a long term yami mechanic who doesn't have a few kicking around there tool boxes. There were a lot of updates done. It's basically the block and two additional wires I was told. I updated my own. Thought it was done when I bought but this site showed me is wasn't :p fixed now.

ordered the block update kit, will be doing that myself since i live in a remote location.

I just tested the stator with the multimeter and WTF! It looks like its gone out on me again! 0.6-0.9 ohms and it should be reading 0.22-0.26.

ITS BEEN ONLY 400 miles since i changed the stator. Original stator burnt out at 10500 miles--i now have 10,900 miles with an RM Stator (400mi)

2008 phazer mtx (pre-owned)
updates done: hand warmer, and lower ball joint, and ground block soon to be updated.

any other updates available that should get done?

Back