• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DIY - Frozen fuel pump relay temporary fix to get going

Ohiohntr

Extreme
Warm up wash towel from hotel under hot water and lay ontop of fuse relay box on clutch side....thought our trip was over (no power, no way to get heat, etc)....worked like a charm...fine the rest of the day. Figured it might save others some headache!!

I thought Yamaha fixed this issue with a solid state relay on the Nytros. I replaced the crappy one on my Nytro with the solid state one after many starting issues. Did they go backwards on the Viper? So far i have not had any cold start issues.

Not sure...had 350 happy and trouble free miles on my new Viper and went out to the enclosed trailer this morning and fuel pump was not kicking on (no start). After calling 2 different dealers, all of which had no clue to try and help (one was 5mi away but was too busy to look at it)....I was pissed and ready to pack up and go home 2 days early. I ended up finding an Internet thread showing where to "heat" a fuel pump relay.

With no access to electric or heat I decided to try and lay a wet heated towel on the relay box for a bit....never been so happy to hear anything kick on!!!

My riding buddy was in the room packing his things and getting the truck around to head home.

As I do think this should not happen with a brand new sled....it has been flawless and I love the ride (and look).

Just thought this might save someone heartburn down the road.

Thanks that is I is a great idea could save someone's trip!

It was stupid cold (- 16) and snowing HARD last night...we ran power lines hard before I put it away so I'm sure everything was frozen solid....we didn't even attempt to ride until noon today because of the temperature....99% of the time I will not ride in temps like this but vacation was already scheduled so as pissed as I was earlier, I got over it at the first turn on the trail.

You're correct...just trying to save someone else's trip.

I still love the sled but this morning it took 3 warm towel tricks to get it going.....I shut it off after it warmed up and for peace of mind tried starting it again and it tried to start and then kicked back hard and would not idle.

I got pissed and walked away kicking ice chunks in the hotel parking lot for a good bit.....went back and it started and idled fine.

We are going to try for a big day, hope everything holds up.

I've had it happen on my Cat also, pull the relay and put in your pocket for a few minutes so it warms, put it back on sled and fire it up.

Good question I'd like to see it to looked for a bit couldn't find it but ,didn't spend to much time on it. Goin to Huntsville next weekend not sure on weather up there.

Anyone have a picture of the fuse relay box on clutch side?
No picture, but you have to take the hood off to get to it on a viper. It is located right next to the coolant reservoir bottle, above and forward of the primary clutch.....if that makes sense...lol

those hand warmer pads you put in ur gloves work too.....if you don;t want to put something wet of ur fuse box

Had to laugh...packed up to leave today and turned the key on my Viper just to see the total miles for the trip, as Murphy's Law would have it....fuel pump kicked right on, go figure...coldest morning of all week.

Oh well...one gremlin to sort out on a new sled, I can live with that....600+ miles and loved every minute of it!!!

I have seen electrical components that have failed in a specific temperature zone or slot like between 85-90 degrees. This was well within their designed operating range. It's hard to find because most testing takes place at room temperature, so failures above or below the "norm". Slip through. And of course it's intermittent and only when being fed power on a circuit card so it's difficult to screen out! Lots of weird things even with solid state switches!!

Back