• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do we care they killed the Nytro?

Vmax4

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 FXNytro MTX 162 SE with a 270 hp MCX Turbo and assorted goodies!
Just wondering...... how many people with 2008-2014 FXNytro MTX sleds are looking to change to the SRViper MTX? I turbo-ed mine last year and really like it. I am not going there this year, but maybe in a couple more years. Just curious.......

-Steve

Vmax4 said:
Just wondering...... how many people with 2008-2014 FXNytro MTX sleds are looking to change to the SRViper MTX? I turbo-ed mine last year and really like it. I am not going there this year, but maybe in a couple more years. Just curious.......

-Steve

A lot of the things I did to my 2012 are "standard" on the 2015. (same things everyone has been doing for the last few years - OFT relocator to get steering more vertical, airframe boards to evac snow, skinz a-arms to improve handling, etc.)

I am curious on a couple things - how are they cooling the motor (esp w turbo) with just the radiator and front heat exchanger, will be interesting to see if there are any heat issues.

Also what is the weight difference, that should be stated up front - tell us what the weight savings is from a 162 Nytro MTX vs a VIPER 162 MTX SE.

I want to ride one for sure - hope my dealer has a demo sled w/turbo for me to check out this spring or next fall.

Until Yamaha gets a clue and produces a 165-170 HP mountain sled I'm not buying new anytime soon. So tired of this 600 class BS. It's frustrating, but saves me a ton of money at the same time.

What I don't understand, is why they didn't release this last year and sell more sleds? Only minor differences compared to the XTX. It's not like the chassis or engine changed.

They did. U add the 2000 turbo to it that they offer with a spring check and you have more than a 170hp mtn sled. They are offering. Solution for you guys an u bitch.

Seriously? 12-13k for a 600 class sled, and were expected to spend another 2k for additional power. Right, sorry for complaining.

fxnytrortxkid said:
They did. U add the 2000 turbo to it that they offer with a spring check and you have more than a 170hp mtn sled. They are offering. Solution for you guys an u bitch.

Well that was something new.

Sabaton said:
fxnytrortxkid said:

Well that was something new.

That turbo deal is not "new". My 2012 snowcheck MPI turbo was $1500. That was the only reason why I bought the sled, it was a great deal on the turbo IMO.

tk

Nikolai said:
Seriously? 12-13k for a 600 class sled, and were expected to spend another 2k for additional power. Right, sorry for complaining.
2k plus installation and you shouldn't use it under 6000 feet, yah why complain #$%&*

2500 if you don't get a spring order LE. Still need gauges and clutching plus install. So 16k out the door to compete with a 50-100lb lighter 12k sled.

Yamaha can easily build a NA 180 hp motor that'll run forever. Do it and get rid of the fourth place is fine mentality.

I agree im tired of everybody riding pros and calling my nytro heavy and i could have gotten a factory turbo when i ordered mine also from mpi would have cost me 2k more i wasnt to sold on that idea i personally wanted a different chassis design but was let down

I am considering it as I am riding an 08 nytro but with the spectacular snow we have had up here this year not sure I will plunge. I am with Nikolai if they would make a NA 165hp I would be in.

Nikolai said:
Until Yamaha gets a clue and produces a 165-170 HP mountain sled I'm not buying new anytime soon. So tired of this 600 class BS. It's frustrating, but saves me a ton of money at the same time.

What I don't understand, is why they didn't release this last year and sell more sleds? Only minor differences compared to the XTX. It's not like the chassis or engine changed.

You're absolutely right. The Japanese are just way too predictable. Short track release one year and then the following year long track it and call it the new mountain sled. They continue to do this over and over. As for the turbo upgrade, an MPI rear mount with a Gems controller (and altitude limitations) is pretty sad in my books.

I have a 2013 MTX with all the standard items that we add... Skinz a arms, Elkas, Skinz boards, OFT relocate, Hindle exhaust, rollover valve etc. Just no turbo. I also have a 2014 Viper MTX 162.

The viper is a better balanced sled. It does not feel front heavy like the nytro does. It gets up on top of snow better when really deep.

I find both sleds lay over pretty easily. Side hill very easily and pretty easy to throw around. I do really like the nytro but the viper is just a better all around sled since it is so much more balanced.

The viper out of the box can handle a 3" paddle track with out HX mods, gas tank is lower on chassis, better steering position and better running boards unless you have the skinz on the nytro. I really hate to admit it cause it is a cat, but this motor just flat out works in this chassis. I like it better than the M8. I am liking it better than my nytro even and I really like it.

Mountaintech really needs to make a skid for this sled though cause the aluminum they use rips easy and can take out a HX in a hurry.

Did I mention that the viper can have a turbo installed in about 1.5 hours. Super easy.

This really is a step in the right direction and puts us on a closer playing field with 2 strokes. The sled is about 40 lbs lighter than a nytro to boot. Yamaha does need a factory turbo option though that can be used at all elevations. I know mountains like in Revelstoke that only get to 6500'. So 6000' just does not cut it. Not everyone rides Cooke, Togwotee, West Yellowstone and Island Park.

I am the biggest diehard around for Yamaha and still not happy with what is going on. I am happy with how this sled performs though.

It is funny reading how many people are disappointed over the release of the new Yamaha viper MTX when in fact the only reason they are is they started to believe the hype that they themselves added to behind the keyboard With I hope thie and i hope that.

Is the viper an improvement over the nytro? by all accounts Yes!!! is it better balanced sled? by all indications Yes. Does it have a better track under it? Yes Does it have better OEM running boards? Yes Most of the rest of it can all be debated but overall it is an improvement over what they had. Could it be a whole lot better? Absolutely. Will they continue to develop it? More then likely.

I tend to look at the bright side of things and not dwell on the the one or two negative things. i find life is a lot better when i do that. Just my opinion though.

I do have one question how the hell are they cooling these sleds with no rear cooler and with actually more heat under the hood with the exhaust up front? Was the Nytro just that inefficient at cooling? On a warm spring day in set up snow my nytro overheats really easy even with scratcher.

Back