• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does the Motor Look likes it's mounted too high?

ROCKERDAN said:
LOL..you guys crack me up. I realize my pic is not straight on and did not take the pic for this thread, i was obviously doing a mockup of full shiftout with different length belts.

I dont just happen to have a straight on pic, I have been into my sled dozens of times, and trust me I know where my crank is at and how low my motor is. I know exactly how much space is under my motor too, barely nothing.

looking at the viper pic which IS STRAIGHT ON pretty much, you can see the viper motor is no where near as low as my turbo.

there is no way you can see daylite under my motor, viper looks to be alot of it.

Well you come off as arrogant laughing at "us guys" I never disagreed with you I was just going to take a pic to take any question out do to angle.It is obvious motor is higher but not as obvious as to Primary position.Your picture could be improved and I offered help that is all.

I think the motor is mounted so high because the jackshaft can't be moved and they are using a stock Yamaha Belt. There is no other simple reason to have that motor that high.

It looks like you may be able to change the oil filter by just removing the side pannel.

Handy said:
I think the motor is mounted so high because the jackshaft can't be moved and they are using a stock Yamaha Belt. There is no other simple reason to have that motor that high.

Very good point. Set that motor down and now your messing with the great Yamaha clutch set up.

bottlerocket said:
Exhaust fitment issues. Turn that motor around and be done with it!

How dare you suggest that??!! Turning that motor around would have required investment! Were talking some REAL investment to do that!! That would cut into their profit too much. What an absurd suggestion. :jump:

Measurements and pictures are good, but don't we really need to know the center of gravity of the sled? Isn't that what really matters or am I missing something?

Yes good point.

Not sure about this but some very knowledgeable cat guys believe that the plane of the Suzuki motor to the cat clutches contributes to belt blowing because of the Pulses transmitted to belt or clutches from the Suzuki motor.It makes sense to me.Look at the odd shaped weights and such that are on a Car or truck.Whole level of development that nobody really talks about.Harmonics.

cannondale27 said:
Yes good point.

Not sure about this but some very knowledgeable cat guys believe that the plane of the Suzuki motor to the cat clutches contributes to belt blowing because of the Pulses transmitted to belt or clutches from the Suzuki motor.It makes sense to me.Look at the odd shaped weights and such that are on a Car or truck.Whole level of development that nobody really talks about.Harmonics.
I totally agree because on racing engines for race cars that I have worked on, there is a lot of harmonic issues with crankshaft dampeners if the dampener doesn't work properly it will break timing chains.

Don't forget the Yamaha motor is a dry sump motor. no oil pan just a windage tray. is the Cat a dry sump motor? an oil pan could fill that space if it is a wet sump.
Compare crankshaft height for a better comparison.

How about this; how far is the center of mass from the plane defined by the skis and track? Where the engine sits in the fame isn't a first order issue if the structure of the sled is lower. Also, note that the bulk of the fuel tank (about 78 lbs when full) is lower than that of the Nytro.

ccrider said:
bottlerocket said:
Exhaust fitment issues. Turn that motor around and be done with it!

How dare you suggest that??!! Turning that motor around would have required investment! Were talking some REAL investment to do that!! That would cut into their profit too much. What an absurd suggestion. :jump:

yam spent considerable amounts of money and time protecting their patent of rear exiting exhaust...its now to their detriment they stubbornly adhere to it..like they have to other things they claim arent an issue...the motor is for sure higher than all the cats...and will affect handling to some degree..as it did in the nytro...

that said ..its a sign of the times in our sport...they need to lower costs and stretch engineering...joint operating agreements etc...

imho for any knowledgable sledder to think this is going to be the panacea ...well look at cats last two years of issues with the 800's and turbos...and sure theres many who didnt...but theres more that did!

The exhaust has nothing to do with the mounting height of the engine. Look at the picture of the exhaust and you can see that the exhaust actually goes down from the head to the tunnel. I still believe that belt length is the reason for the placement.

With rear exiting exhaust..it is the reason yams have motors sitting higher and have poorer handling..belt length has nothing to do with placement..belt length can easily be altered to suit...

**sj** said:
With rear exiting exhaust..it is the reason yams have motors sitting higher and have poorer handling..belt length has nothing to do with placement..belt length can easily be altered to suit...

exactly SJ.....

too bad yammie did not put more money into changing the motor PTO/MAG so it could have been mounted low, and then a front mounted turbo easily.

I dont see the viper cornering nearly as flat and stable as my F11turbo does.

Dan

Back