• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dos and don'ts about winching??

backwoodsman

Does any one have any dos and don’ts for using and/or set up of the warn snow winch with the Yamaha brackets on the pro?
I didn’t get stuck bad enough last winter to use the winch, this winter I want to practice using the winch be for I end up in a pickle. :o|

1st thing is get a snatch block/pully as the winch is not strong enough (usually) to pull the sled out on its own. i would use a tow strap to both ski loops and carry a rope to anchor the pully to a tree or another sled.

i have a 1500lb snow winch and it is enough if there is nothing wrong and the snow is fluffy. if the snow is sticky or you are winching a dead sled you will need the pully for the extra power. my sled died twice last winter and the track froze the 2nd time. i had to pull on the sled with the winch to get it to move as i was stuck on a icy hill and could not get the truck close enough to pull with it. missed the whole superbowl game because of it including the pre game.

maim said:
1st thing is get a snatch block/pully as the winch is not strong enough (usually) to pull the sled out on its own. i would use a tow strap to both ski loops and carry a rope to anchor the pully to a tree or another sled.

A good and timely topic - if we ever get more snow.

Are you saying that the skis, suspension, and steering are strong enough to winch on both ski loops at the same time? Is there no concern about bending or twisting steering parts? Would you simply take a tow strap or something like that and run it through both ski loops and then to the winch? Or what is the best way to hook it up to the front of the VK?

Winching the rear of the machine should be a lot easier on the machine as one can hook onto the hitch.

I was thinking of buying a 2500 or 3000 lb winch that I could use for the VK Pro and for the back of the Yamaha Grizzly quad (it already has a winch in front).

i mis typed because i was pulling from the spindles down by the skis with the strap fed through the loops.

yes that is how i would do it. we hwew pulling on my war with the snow winch without the pully and it was a stiff pull in march in muni. a 2-3000lb winch would probably be ok on a single line pull (no pully) but i would carry one with some rope just in case as it really sucks to power out the winch and it still is not moving.

Nice!Believe it or not I could have used one of those a few times last year especially when fully rolled over in deep snow I could not tip my sled back on its skiis.Had to call for help once.Embarrassing!

Oops!

Attachments

• 0118111127a.jpg
    0118111127a.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 278
cannondale27 looks like a jump that did not go as planned. Not sure I would have kept a memory of something that caused me that much work. On the other hand its not everyone who can bury a sled like that.

So far have not found anyone who has experience with the snow jack. It seems so simple, and easy to do what needs doing when stuck with it.

I like the fact you can mount it on any sled and its not in the way.

I do plan to get one in near future.

There was a bit of air involved before the roll and bury!

As for jack my biggest concern is the base.Not sure if it would find bottom or solid footing before running out of travel.Most of my stucks have been in areas just like I pictured.Creek bottoms,ditches etc.Easily can be 6ft or more of snow there even in WI.

cannondale27 we agree that the base of the jack may present a problem. But creating a bottom is almost always the solution to getting out. Creating the bottom should not be a problem except in very dry snow. Thou in the east we rarely have snow six feet deep snow ;)! and making a base should not be a problem.

Here is a video of use in what looks fairly deep.

http://www.powderjack.com/snowmobile_video.htm

Being I ride with the wife only during the week on certain days conditions,etc. can be a challange. So I invested in a Jack and Winches. As an owner of 2 winch's one a Warn Sno Winch 2nd a Winch in a bag Plus as well as a Sno Jack I can give some input here.
When using the winch Try to get the line off the spool as much as possible down to the first wrap. This is the peak pulling power. A snatch block will help do this if your too close. A single snatch block will not double you power. What it does it allows the spool to empty. Never Never use the hooked up winch to tow the sled out. Disconnect the winch and use a tow strap. You will strip the Planetary Gears in the Winch.
I've been stuck many times and found when the winch stop's due to not enough power you have to gas the throttle to help it along. Also I use the Jack to turn around the sled so your pulling from the front. This makes it much easier on the winch. The Jack also gets it out of a hole it may dig. You Can pack the snow down for a platform for the jack.
I saw a Rental outfit pulling a sled up a steep hill with trees (River Bank) that a Renter put there. They used Climbing rope. The type that doesn't stretch with climbing pully's to angle the rope between trees. One man was on the sled gassing it and antoher working the Warn 1500lb Winch.
I also carry a shovel but the jack is so quick and better.

Captcaper thanks for all the input.

I did buy the snow jack...my only issue is length of the pole extends well behind sled. I think an improvement would be a two piece pole.

I'm thinking about cutting about three feet off. Then when needed rejoining.

I have an Attak so it only stuck out about a foot which I cut off then re drilled for the safety stop. I put one end of the jack into the foot well as far as I could get it. Was a Bitch to get the bolts for the holder on but I did it.
I wish I didn't cut if off thou. It would offer a place to put my hand when jacking in deep stuff but it still works wonders even cut off.
A ratchet strap which I'm not familiar with is interesting but can it really give the winching power and versatility? Does the Ratchet straps they use have to have a handle to give it the pull? I can't see just cranking on a small handle to do the job. Even a cumber long has a long handle for leverage.

captcaper the strap is a simple loop that you slip over the jack, which seams like it will slip off easly when you push sled off one side or the other.

The only racheting strap I can think of is a rope with a locking pully that is from snobunje, along with a bunje cord would enhance the winch.

Back to where to hook up a winch or tow strap. That bumper at the front of the VK Pro looks quite substantial. Has anyone here used that as an attachment point for winching or towing?

The bumper is bolted to the structure/frame of the machine, although that structure/frame isn't all that heavy. But is it strong enough to handle pulling?

Back