• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Everyone help with my Suspension settings

lholtzman

Hey, just curious what everyone is running they're suspension at

I just turned the front springs up to the highest setting and it made it way harder to side hill, had to lean way over.They'll be getting turned down
Whats everyone been running for a stabilizer bar setup, has anyone removed it.

Limiter strap in the 4th hole, rear shock on the second to hardest
Torsion spring will be getting the x clickers today

Do I have to check the track tension if I loosen the limiter strap?

Thanks for the help

No one has responded

I just figured we could all benefit by learning what works for different people in different places with different conditions.

I live in a town where there are two other yamaha 4 strokes I know of.
The nearest dealer is almost 4 hours away

I have been reading through this forum A LOT

Thanks

I got a 09 mtx , extended to 151. challenger track , ive added x clicks, and let the limiter strap all the way out , but i never added any preload to the rear shock , i might make it stiffer , but i left the whole front end the same , and without the sway bar in the front , will make it nice in the deep stuff , for carving and side hilling , but on the trails , it would be aweful , so im leaving it on , because i ride alittle trails . what year is your phazer ?

I have a 2008 Phazer Mtx

YZman, with the limiter strap all the way out and the rear shock with no preload wouldn't the sled just sag to the point where you might as well have the strap tighter?
Also with the xclicks on and no preload on the front of the rear skid wouldn't it put a huge load on the torsion spring?
Tell me If I'm wrong, I'm just trying to understand which combination of setting is going to work best for me.
I don't know how the sled comes stock but I guess you can adjust the sway bar to make it easier for sidehilling?

I am trying to set up my suspension so it's ok for riding trails but I need it to really perform in the mountains, sidehilling and control in the deep and narrow trees.
I'm also not the best rider in the world, I'll take all the help I can get

When this track gets worn out I'm totally going 151-153, must be nice
Thanks for the info
:Rockon:

I tried riding with the swaybar removed last year, it would be perfect if you could unload off the truck and hit 3 feet of snow right away, but if you have to ride any amount of trail, it gets pretty spooky.

everyone has a different approach to suspension, you really just need to set your sled up and ride it a bit. Then only change one thing at a time and ride some more. Eventually you will hit on something that works for your style and the terrain you ride in. I am riding a venture MP, which is very similar to the phazers and absolutly love it without the sway bar. I have also shortened the limiter strap and softened the front suspension preload to ease the approach angle of the track and lower the CG of the front of the sled. You have to ride very actively in all terrain including trails with this set-up and the sled will go where ever you want it to. I have a 159" track so it is not a super tight turner, I put 10" wide, double skegged Simmons Gen2 skis out front and now it steers like a sports car.

the best you can do is get out and ride for a while and then change something.

Attachments

• tricked out left quarter.jpg
    tricked out left quarter.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 75
Well i never changed any of the stock factory preload settings on rear shock , but i never checked , but i think its inbetween soft and hard , im going to full around with it , and find out what works for me, i think the sway bar cant be adjusted , only keep it on or take it off . but with the 08 mtx , the torsion springs are alot softer then the 09 mtx , so our suspension set-ups will be different . but if i stiffen up the rear shock next to the limiter strap , would it make more or less ski pressure ? anyone know?

I got the x-click in and I like it but it still bottoms out frequently on hardest setting. My rear coil over shock is right in the middle. Last night I turned my front shocks from mid setting to the stiffest. I rode pretty much all trails but were had lots of fresh blowing snow around here so lots of drifts to play in. I rode a little off trail (about 1 foot most places not drifted) and I really struggle on off level situations and sidehilling. I try to manhandle it a little to get it to go where I want, but it fights me and is alwas wanting to tip. on hard trails im good but its very unpredictable cornering it the 6" of fresh snow we were encountering. I kinda feel that the lack of deep snow really doesnt help trying to carve around but I know I need to re-set it because my cousins phazer fx will ride circles around me in off level riding other than traction. Any imput apreciated

I do believe you get more ski pressure by shortening the strap

Hey yzman

I believe that if you turn the coilover shock(next to the limiter strap)
Stiffer = less ski pressure
Softer= more ski pressure

They say if you ride alot of powder you should ride with the limiter strap all the way out 5th hole and probably with the whole rear skid as stiff as it goes. I believe the rear skids two spring should be set up similar because they are connected. That means if your running x clicks, the coil over should be turned up all the way. You shouldn't bottom out much with both springs turned up.
You'll sacrifice the skids ability to contour to the terrain but at least you won't be sitting with the running boards on the surface of the snow with the track tucked in spinning diggin a hole

They say the worst part of these sleds is the approach angle of the track, that they tend to trench

By letting the limiter strap out to the 5th hole i believe your actually making the approach angle steeper
So... I belive to combat the approach angle issue just run the front suspension softer, the front suspension is way harder to bottom out than the rear. Plus by running the front suspension softer they sidehill really well. Not too soft just one or two clicks from the stiffest.

I'm not really sure how to deal with the sway bar
I'm going to have a look at mine and see how the adjustment is done and make it as light as possible

If you don't agree with any of my ideas please correct me
I'm here to learn
Thanks for the time
Happy Holidays

I think you got it dead on , but you should try the mtx without the swaybars , and report back . i would like to try it, but dont have much time . too much riding to be done :Rockon: :Rockon:

I removed my sons sway bar on his 07 MTX, he is 90 lbs and couldnt throw it around. Now that its out he rallies it (BUT THE FRONT SHOX SUCK) so you will need an upgrade. I went with Fox floats and what a difference. I also just installed his Timbersled rear skid :Rockon: holy crap what a difference that made. I can not believe how many blocks, wheels, bushings and weight the stock skid had.
The only other thing left to do is different ski's. The MTN ski's are great in the pow but are #$%&* violent when your on the trail or lake. Good luck :Rockon:

During a poker rally last year my suspension just gave up. I had a lot of ice built up in the tunnel and the suspension was almost bottomed out without a rider on it. I replaced the front shock in the skid and adjusted everything to the highest setting, but it still won't hold up the weight of the seat. I guess I need to replace the rear shock as well.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

I found the answer I was looking for on another thread - my mistake for not reading all of them before posting.
:drink:

Ridndirty said:
I tried riding with the swaybar removed last year, it would be perfect if you could unload off the truck and hit 3 feet of snow right away, but if you have to ride any amount of trail, it gets pretty spooky.

I have an 08 mtx and found better ski control and less lift on trail with out the swaybar, haven't had a chance to really try it out trail yet.

Back