• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Evo power up

Ok I got my ECU back in and the big venom clutch kit. Im still waiting on my header from evo.

I don't have a big yard so I cant fully review the evo flash, but the starting and idle seems much better.

On my big venom kit I did like you said nospro and left stock and just one aluminum in tip. clutching seems spot on except my engagement is still around 3700rpm, so something isn't right, I just left the allen in the heel that it came with.

my weights weigh 53.05g, with the little room I had I seen 9500 rpm so its right where I want it.

On sunday I will be going for a day trip then I will report back.

Sounds great trevorl1,

Sounds like the weight setup I gave you might be spot on. Something not right with your primary (sticking, binding....something) as you should be 1,000 rpms less on engagement.

I cleaned it out when I installed the weights it seemed top be moving freely, I will check it again tomorrow and report back.
It's for sure better at engagement since the popping is now gone.

Great review on evo flash!!! Well said. Bin waiting to hear something good on it before i start spending money.

Bull. Its all in the tune. Get PCV and Ignition Module and PCV can be tuned to any specs. Evo you are only getting one tune which cannot be modified by anyone but them.

As I have rode with more than a few Viper turbos I can't tell you how happy I am with EVO flash. While others need maps and computers to program I simply get on and ride. Closed loop is anything but a system that can only be programmed by one person, and a good flash gives you a different starting point and if done right gives you a wider range of fueling and timing changes the system is now capable of. Like EVO flash and controller that is bolt on and run anywhere.

But if you like playing with maps and such more power to you, not for me though. If EVO made a system for my Harley I would ditch that archaic map system too!

EVO has done what no other aftermarket vendor could do....and that is modify the stock ECU. Everyone is complaining about the stock ECU, starters going to crap, rough idle, hot starting, hitting the rev limiter, hitting the soft rev limiter, kick-backs, lean pop, do you cycle the fuel pump or not, do you touch the throttle or not, etc.....

Right now, EVO has all different stages of performance to re-program your ECU. It took over a year to crack the ECU and all you heard was complaining about how long it took. EVO apologized for how long it took and offered a discount to everyone here and believe they still are offerening that discount. They could have given up and said F it, but they needed to finish what they started. I stayed with EVO and stand behind them 1,000,000% for the job well done. I have messed with timing and fuel curve myself....and EVO flash was what got me running in the 10's on asphalt. It's tested and proved, now being proven more and more with each flash they sell.

Go out and buy your other stuff and try to figure out where EVO changed the timing and fuel.

Can you do it? Sure, spend the money on PC stuff and hours and hours getting it right...
And once it's done on PCV share it. When Evo finds the oil time coding,huge variances in run quality at idle, variances in starting and offers a stronger starter idler gear then I will be impressed. Until then no claims of one single tune should be made to work with all sleds. Ain't going to happen and is unrealistic. Unless the bugs can be worked out of stock system only way to get as good as possible is with a individual tune for each sled. Nos you saw it yourself. Your sled could not even back out of trailer after factory reflash. Mine was fine. Brian's which had bad hot start issue never has had a issue starting since flash. I am sure the Evo tune makes power and cleans up idle but to claim it fixes all the variances and imply it fixes starter issues is just deceiving and feeds fear.

And once it's done on PCV share it. When Evo finds the oil time coding,huge variances in run quality at idle, variances in starting and offers a stronger starter idler gear then I will be impressed. Until then no claims of one single tune should be made to work with all sleds. Ain't going to happen and is unrealistic. Unless the bugs can be worked out of stock system only way to get as good as possible is with a individual tune for each sled. Nos you saw it yourself. Your sled could not even back out of trailer after factory reflash. Mine was fine. Brian's which had bad hot start issue never has had a issue starting since flash. I am sure the Evo tune makes power and cleans up idle but to claim it fixes all the variances and imply it fixes starter issues is just deceiving and feeds fear.

Cleaned up all the variances in mine, but I have never had a starter problem so can't comment on that. You are gonna have to break down and try a real closed system.

It fixed mine also (ran last 2 races without any fuel controller hooked up) and ran flawlessly.

Yes, after the re-flash I had major issues and I will never run that 2015 program again. Not afraid to run the EVO alone on trail but I wanted my 2-step and recording for rpm and afr purposes....otherwise I wouldn't even run my fuel controller.

Haven't heard 1 complaint about starting problems with those who have the EVO flash...all positives so far....and until I hear something, I am positive that EVO HAS done a great job and with all the testing and what I witnessed with Jim while dynoing...... the issues have been fixed.

Nobody has started their sled more than I have. All my summer racing (minimum 30-35 starts each race day, 40+ races per season), clutch testing and riding.... I should have had problems.

The engine is made exactly the same from factory and it's not the engines fault they run different...it's all the different ECU programs they have. If you have 5 stock sleds, all with the same engine....if the ECU program is the same the sleds will idle, run and perform the same. But, Cat and Yamaha have all these ECU programs f'ed up and EVO has a fix. 1,000's of cars are built everyday, take 1 vehicle and all the thousands made....they all have the same computer program and run exactly the same (unless another issue causes it to run bad or have problems), but the timing , fuel and computer are all the same.

Something happened when my ECU was re-flashed and it was noticeable right away and I complained. Wouldn't even start at first, plus the mileage change.

[QUOTE="...and offers a stronger starter idler gear then I will be impressed. ... I am sure the Evo tune makes power and cleans up idle but to claim it fixes all the variances and imply it fixes starter issues is just deceiving and feeds fear.[/QUOTE]

Why would evo offer a gear for your starter? Does the PV5 come with a new starter gear? When you have something that can break when it is kicked, and you stop kicking it, you "fixed" the problem of the breaking component. So if you no longer get kickback to your starter, your starter should be fine like the thousands before it. Are your house windows defective because if you kick them they break?

Feeds fear? When a group of testers find a problem solved or fixed, and someone comes along that has never tested it but still argues and denies the result - well that is creating/feeding fear. Personally having had dealt with the starter issue and no longer having it, I would be a lot more AFRAID to run it stock.

There is no problem with not believing something, but trying to change the narrative to suit your own belief does not change the facts. Did you get burned by this evo reflash? Did you loose a new starter after doing it?

Got the clutches cleaned up, finally got decent snow in nova Scotia, were heading sledding for the day tomorrow I'll report back.
I cleaned my clutch and the wife's, but hers was definitely smoother. Not sure why mine is just as clean.

I've flashed quite a few ecus in Canada and the most common comment I hear back is about better starting and idle. How many of those guys had issues before the Evo reflash I don't know, but I had to assume that if you are telling me its better...then it must have been worse before. No one has sent me their ecu hoping to fix starting issues, they send them for power increases, and it seems that starting issues are better.
On my personal turbo sled after I reflashed the ecu my starting was better and the idle was smoother.

I
It fixed mine also (ran last 2 races without any fuel controller hooked up) and ran flawlessly.

Yes, after the re-flash I had major issues and I will never run that 2015 program again. Not afraid to run the EVO alone on trail but I wanted my 2-step and recording for rpm and afr purposes....otherwise I wouldn't even run my fuel controller.

Haven't heard 1 complaint about starting problems with those who have the EVO flash...all positives so far....and until I hear something, I am positive that EVO HAS done a great job and with all the testing and what I witnessed with Jim while dynoing...... the issues have been fixed.

Nobody has started their sled more than I have. All my summer racing (minimum 30-35 starts each race day, 40+ races per season), clutch testing and riding.... I should have had problems.

The engine is made exactly the same from factory and it's not the engines fault they run different...it's all the different ECU programs they have. If you have 5 stock sleds, all with the same engine....if the ECU program is the same the sleds will idle, run and perform the same. But, Cat and Yamaha have all these ECU programs f'ed up and EVO has a fix. 1,000's of cars are built everyday, take 1 vehicle and all the thousands made....they all have the same computer program and run exactly the same (unless another issue causes it to run bad or have problems), but the timing , fuel and computer are all the same.

Something happened when my ECU was re-flashed and it was noticeable right away and I complained. Wouldn't even start at first, plus the mileage change.
I guess I need to be more clear. EVO has changed the tune. They have not found or changed any of the coding because Evo said "it's like looking for a needle in a haystack" until the coding is fixed there will always be variances because there really isn't a lot of input sources to tell the system conditions but there is a lot of coding to tell the ecu how to react to the inputs. The coding is what is screwed up.

Ok back from a 200km day, sled starts better, power is un real and idle is smoother.
I couldn't believe that when we gassed up at 168 km that my sled took 2 liters less then my wife's stock ltx and I was harder on the throttle then her.

Sled only turned about 9200 so I'm thinking that it'll be perfect once I get my header in a couple days.
Only one thing is that the engagement is still at 3700-4000 rpm. I removed the clutch before the trip , soaked and cleaned it in the sink in dish soap. It was definitely moving freely.

Ok back from a 200km day, sled starts better, power is un real and idle is smoother.
I couldn't believe that when we gassed up at 168 km that my sled took 2 liters less then my wife's stock ltx and I was harder on the throttle then her.

Sled only turned about 9200 so I'm thinking that it'll be perfect once I get my header in a couple days.
Only one thing is that the engagement is still at 3700-4000 rpm. I removed the clutch before the trip , soaked and cleaned it in the sink in dish soap. It was definitely moving freely.
Great power and good fuel economy, what could be better, what u seeing for feul economy and is it good to run stage 4 without the header.

Great power and good fuel economy, what could be better, what u seeing for feul economy and is it good to run stage 4 without the header.
I'm sure it won't hurt without the header for a couple rides, I averaged 14 mpg, that was on trails with about a foot of snow. Driving 40 to 80 mph.

Back