• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Cans....

Ha no. Where they hold meter. Once got checked on quad 103db. Thankfully he believed me that quiet core just blew out since I had it in my storage box!

Wheelers and sleds must go my different guidelines or no? I know from back in the yfz450 days those things with an exhaust were ungodly loud..I don't think a viper with an open header would be as loud as a high performance 4 stroke wheeler with an exhaust

It would but has advantage of exhaust pointing into snow. I also don't know how they could test at half rpm since I doubt they are going to remove belt. I won't run loud on sled since to many houses around. Fought a legal battle with my club to keep a ohv riding area open all the way to State Supreme Court. We won with help of some sound experts from Harley Davidson and a great lawyer. Is a lot of bad inf out there but basically it comes down to people's perception of sound rather than facts. I remember 3rd shift trying to sleep with a sparrow tweeting right by window. Wasn't loud but may as well have been a F16 kicking in the afterburners! The old rule won't change. If you are having fun you are pissing someone off.

It would but has advantage of exhaust pointing into snow. I also don't know how they could test at half rpm since I doubt they are going to remove belt. I won't run loud on sled since to many houses around. Fought a legal battle with my club to keep a ohv riding area open all the way to State Supreme Court. We won with help of some sound experts from Harley Davidson and a great lawyer. Is a lot of bad inf out there but basically it comes down to people's perception of sound rather than facts. I remember 3rd shift trying to sleep with a sparrow tweeting right by window. Wasn't loud but may as well have been a F16 kicking in the afterburners! The old rule won't change. If you are having fun you are pissing someone off.

Yup, someone is always going to bitch because your having fun and they aren't.

Harley Davidson has sound experts? LOL

I believe 3ft at 45deg angle and 1/2 max rpm.

This doesn't match my sound meter then.....I can hold my meter about 4 feet from the sled and get 93 dB at an idle. This doesn't match the 1st post with 73 dB on the tag. 15 feet away sounds legit for 73.

Yes they will take you to court if your a company and your bike sounds like a Harley. They have a patent on the sound.

I think it would be very useful if we had a sticky to the forum identifying several exhaust can performance.

I have a stock 2015 RTX Viper and the stock exhaust claims 73dB at 15 MPH and 78dB at WOT. This was noted on a tag attached to my handle bars when I picked it up.
What are other after market cans claiming?

Manufacture / HP Gain / 15MPh dB / WOT dB/ Weight Save/
Stock............./................../.....73dB......./....78dB.../....................../(db from tag from Manf.)
Ulmer.........../...7-8........./......76db......./.....81db.../......5lbs......../(data from his site, claimed 3db > stock)
MBRP........../......8........../.......84db....../...TBD...../.......5lbs......../(data from MBRP sales rep)
Excell
D&D............/......6-7....../......74db......../....78db.../.......12lbs....../(sales rep said +1db over stock, no packing in can)
SLP............../ no claim./.....<88db....../.....N/A.../.......6lbs......../(sales rep said less than 88db, no hp gain with silencer, mostly weight save)
OSP............./.......5-6...../.....TBD........./......TBD../.......10lbs...../(data from OSP Sales)
Hindle
Hurricane
Skinz UltraQ......TBD..../....85db +/-7../......TBD/......TBD......./ (sales rep did not have much info yet)
Evolution
Bikeman
Sandale

Etc.....

This would help everyone to see the facts.
Great job! Keep this updated is a great comparison. Stickied it in Facts labeled Exhaust can Specs

"The Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee's (SSCC) went to work and developed the SAE J2567 stationary sound test. Far easier to administer in the field the J2567 test requires an engine be brought to 4000 rpm, with a sound meter reading four meters from the point of exhaust. Currently the SSCC is working with the Wisconsin DNR on the implementation of this new standard. Once agreement is achieved, field officers will have an easy, scientific procedure for checking snowmobile sound.
Other states have watched developments in Wisconsin with great interest, and it's likely that some will adopt the J2567 test procedure for their filed officers"[/b]

See Wisconsin Statute 350.095

350.095 Noise level requirements. (1) NOISE LEVEL STANDARDS;
TOTAL VEHICLE NOISE. (a) Every snowmobile that is
manufactured on or after July 2, 1975, and that is offered for sale
or sold in this state as a new snowmobile shall be manufactured
so as to limit total vehicle noise to not more than 78 decibels of A
sound pressure, as measured by Society of Automotive Engineers
standards.
(b) No snowmobile may be modified by any person in any
manner that shall amplify or otherwise increase total vehicle noise
above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured,
regardless of date of manufacture.
(2) NOISE LEVEL STANDARDS; EXHAUST AND ENGINE NOISE. (a)
No snowmobile may be manufactured, sold, offered for sale, or
operated unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working
order.
(b) For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1972, a muffler
that is in good working order is one that blends the exhaust
noise into the overall engine noise and is in constant operation to
prevent exhaust and engine noise that exceeds the applicable noise
level standards established under pars. © and (d).
© For every snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1972, and
before July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and
engine noise shall be 90 decibels as measured in accordance with
the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust sound
levels of stationary snowmobiles in the January 2004 Society of
Automotive Engineers Standard J2567.
(d) For every snowmobile manufactured on or after July 2,
1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine noise shall
be 88 decibels as measured in accordance with the procedures
established for the measurement of exhaust sound levels of stationary
snowmobiles in the January 2004 Society of Automotive
Engineers Standard J2567.