• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Factory turbo, oil problem!!! WARNING!!!

deweysgt

Extreme
I hv a factory Yam turbo kit (flat lander) which runs flawlessly until now. I was In the UP for the past two weekends When I experienced temps ranging -10 to -20 at night. When I warmed up the sled the next morning the oil breather box would apparently malfunction and all the engine oil would completely pump out of the breather hose, draining all the engine oil and losing its prime. This has happened two weekends in a row!! When this happens it leaves you high and dry, but more important is that there is no warning when it will happen. Could be the morning after or even extended break when on the trail.
I have taken steps to eliminate this potential problem but yet it keeps happening.
It's a "snowmobile" and it's designed to be driven in the cold! But now that the reliability of cold weather has become a factor what's the point of owning a Yamaha.
This has taken my confidence level in the genuine Yamaha product to an all time low.
If anyone has any suggestions to correct this problem I'm all ears...

Did you take off the oil breather and clean it out , there's a little ball in there that freezes up from moisture and causes this to happen , Call MPI I think they have a fix for this !

Matt has been great to work with on the turbo project and we've had several conversations regarding the breather box. But for this problem he has no fix, it's a Yamaha problem. The updated vent kit does not rectify this problem, that is only to help the side hilling issue.
I did clean the box out and I will do it again, but it shouldn't be this way

It happened to a friend of mine. Can you remove the ball? What does the ball do? Roll over protection?

the ball floats and plugs the vent off in the event that the box fills up with oil so that it doesn't come out the breather . If the oil tank vent line some how freezes up the engine still needs to vent and the only line left to vent is the oil return which happens to be on the bottom of the oil tank. So with air pressure in the oil tank it takes the least resistant path to vent the tank and pushes the oil back out the return line to the air oil Box with a frozen ball check and out come the oil

in theory MPI's oil return line update kit I would think would help this issue somewhat because they returned the oil to the motor and its above oil level instead of to the bottom of the tank. wondering how the doos vent their 4 cycles?

user67021_pic31435_1421277891.jpg

This problem has nothing to do with the turbo.

Back