• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fan Reverse Warning

I liked it but had to switch back to stock last thursday. No issues in morning when trails were setup but once the trails got mushy when doing long wideopen runs the tunnel was packing up with snow so heat exchanger was not enough. Got warning light and went into limp mode. Fan was running whole time but at those speeds was just fighting the air being forced in. Switched fan back to stock and never had a issue running the same stretch again.

Do you think maybe the lack of the "oven action" from above may have had an impact?

I was going to reverse mine until I tested it and found that the fan only moves half the amount of air in reverse. I pulled the fan out to do this test.

I was going to reverse mine until I tested it and found that the fan only moves half the amount of air in reverse. I pulled the fan out to do this test.

That makes perfect sense. Fans work better to pull and without looking, I believe the blade pitch is not really designed to work backwards, but it seems to get the job done.

Looks like we have fan direction war going on here! :dunno: :o| You boys need to log off and get out and ride before someone blows a gasket !!! Doctors Orders! ;)! :sled2:
Lack of snow and seat time will only make conditions WORSE.

That makes perfect sense. Fans work better to pull and without looking, I believe the blade pitch is not really designed to work backwards, but it seems to get the job done.

Exactly, this FAN BLADE is designed to rotate in only one direction.

quite frankly for my riding area/ conditions I have yet to see the temp get that hot to engage the fan while trail riding. I have noticed that the temp would fluctuate a bit but I just chalked that up to ice or snow in the tunnel. Eventually it drops off and it steadies out again. I towed my buddy 35 miles last year on hard packed trail with scratchers out and never saw the temp rise to fan engagement. The only time it would rise to fan engagement was when putting around with my 3 year old son while he was on his 120. Give her a crack open and it would drop quickly.

In the powder I did notice that the temp would be up a bit more and the fan would come on after I stopped, and shut down the sled and would leave the key turned ahead. This was only very occasionally.
All these conditions were with the stock fan.
I only tried the fan reversal this year to try and get rid some of the steam and possibly blow out some of the snow stuck in the louvers.
I never got it for cooling issues.
Anyway it's not a big issue if I do have to change back to stock.
It may all have to do with riding style and conditions if the reversal is right for you.
I guess I'll see if we ever get a chance for a ride.

I think there is no doubt it will flow less reversed. How much air flow is needed for a radiator is the question, when I rode over new years I did not even have a fan on my sled. Fan on sled or auto should only run stopped and does not need to move a lot of air to cool. You did know the 2007 Phazer did not even have a fan on the radiator? They put one on later years though as people that wanted to idle complained. That being said if it bothers you don't do it, I don't sell my ideas so it isn't like I make any money off of it ;)

I think there is no doubt it will flow less reversed. How much air flow is needed for a radiator is the question, when I rode over new years I did not even have a fan on my sled. Fan on sled or auto should only run stopped and does not need to move a lot of air to cool. You did know the 2007 Phazer did not even have a fan on the radiator? They put one on later years though as people that wanted to idle complained. That being said if it bothers you don't do it, I don't sell my ideas so it isn't like I make any money off of it ;)
Just to be clear I got the fan update on my Phazer because it constantly overheated anytime I was going slow or within a 1/4mi on a plowed road. It was ridiculous how often it overheated I could not even make it into a town to get gas since roads are normally plowed and that is the reason Yamaha provided a FREE fan update for anyone that had a issue. It was not people who just idled alot. Your idea was a good one and still is. Many will probably not have a issue at all. But some will. I am hoping the switch kit will become available and then we can have the best of both worlds. Just remember that just like the Phazer. Just because it doesnt happen to you doesnt mean it will not happen to others. Cripes we are on opposite ends of country and totally different conditions and riding styles. I am not looking for any apologies or acknowledgements Stingray and I do appreciate your ideas. That is why I try them sometimes. This one just didnt work for me. Just like Phazer without fan didnt either.

I liked it but had to switch back to stock last thursday. No issues in morning when trails were setup but once the trails got mushy when doing long wideopen runs the tunnel was packing up with snow so heat exchanger was not enough. Got warning light and went into limp mode. Fan was running whole time but at those speeds was just fighting the air being forced in. Switched fan back to stock and never had a issue running the same stretch again.
I forget what I removed when I did the reversal. Or do I just disconnect the modual and plug the male female back together?

I switched my wires by removing them out of plug with the weatherpack tool which I had in my toolkit since last year. Not sure what you did but there is no modual. Its just wires.

I switched my wires by removing them out of plug with the weatherpack tool which I had in my toolkit since last year. Not sure what you did but there is no modual. Its just wires.
I received the harness from BOP with the fuse box relocate kit. I will have to look at it thanks for the info

Oh then yes go to Napa or any auto store and ask for the weatherpack tool under $10 and very handy. You just unclip the plastic latch on one of the connectors,slide the tool over the prong in other end and wire will come right out. Just switch them.

Back