• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fat man XTX suspension setup help

DelgatyXTX

Expert
Hi everyone,

I did a search on this and found a lot of info but everyone on here seems to be much lighter than me. I'm 6'3 - 300 lbs and I don't like to slow down for bumps. First 300 or so miles and my 2015 XTX LE is kicking my #*$&@. (A group I ride with uses Polaris RideCommand and my nickname on it is BlueRodeo because I feel like I'm riding a wild bull.) I read to loosen up the front shock so there's no preload but figured I should have some since I'm of larger stature. Backed it down to about 1/2 way and went for a ride. Suspension feels only slightly softer and I get slightly less buck. I plan on taking it down even more this week - and might I add the suspension tools provided are garbage, had to use channel locks to loosen the jam nut. Not sure what PSI my rear shock is at but it's definitely over 150 because that's as high as the float pump goes and it's way over. I heard for the average sized rider, 120 is where you want to be so I'll use 150 as my starting point.

As for front shocks, the sled came with them around 110 psi and I bumped them to 125. I found that quite choppy so I took it down to 100 and it feels nice, although the added body roll makes handling a little worse. I do have to say though, the handling on these is fantastic so I can't complain.

On a side note, my oil light seems to come on every once in a while. Once was on perfectly flat ground after fueling and the second I was slightly tilted with the oil tank side higher. I checked the oil the first time in the parking lot and it was at the low side of normal range. Sled was at operating temp but not running. Second time i got it to a flat spot, sled had just reached operating temp and it was actually slightly lower than the low line. I left it for 5 min, turned the key just to turn on the gauge and the light was back off. When I did the oil change I put about 3.7L in. Can't see any leaks anywhere, no oil in the pan under the tank and no drips on the floor. Sled runs great though.

Only thing that stands out to me is your skishock pressure. Its way too high. You are checking all these float pressures with sled off ground? Other than that your doing great just keep experimenting.

No, this was on the trail I took it down, guess I should have mentioned that. My buddy with his 14 ZR 800 said he runs his at 45 lbs, but he is much lighter and the engine weighs much less as well. I'll lift the front and check it then.

I'm 6'3" 220ish without gear and in a similar boat. I disconnected the swaybar and I'm running the fronts at 135 with the sled off the ground and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Still working on the rear, but right now I'm halfway on the threads in the center, 110 on the rear. I'm going to order the 160/260 spring from A/C and see if that does anything for me.

I
I'm 6'3" 220ish without gear and in a similar boat. I disconnected the swaybar and I'm running the fronts at 135 with the sled off the ground and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Still working on the rear, but right now I'm halfway on the threads in the center, 110 on the rear. I'm going to order the 160/260 spring from A/C and see if that does anything for me.

I'd imagine the stiffer spring would allow you to run it with zero preload so rebound is reduced as much as possible, but also take the weight? If I can't dial it in this winter I might order one too and also get the Hygear kit, looks like it works well.

What I see the best thing to do is ditch the rear float and get a good coil over.

I got the elka stage 5 for the rear skid shock, I haven't rode it yet, but my friend has one and says the difference was unreal.

Back